East Coast downwinder? Point Judith to Narragansett beach RI (USA)

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #30644 by MCImes
I see the wind is forecast to be blowing hard north this weekend. Looking at WindyTy.com for Saturday afternoon, it seems they are predicting 6' swell going parallel to the shore between Point Judith lighthouse (RI) and Narragansett beach.

Has anyone ever done this? The beach at Point Judith looks like you would need to launch from the north side of the point to avoid the breaking waves, but the beach looks quite rocky. Is there a good spot to launch there? (at Rose Nulman Park?)
www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B021'45....!4d-71.4806545?hl=en

Look at Saturday morning/afternoon wave forecast
www.windyty.com/?41.224,-73.052,2

Wesley or any NE'ers, this looks like an ideal (but cold) downwind. Anyone done this? What can you tell me about the launch points or beaches around here? Also, any feedback on the waves? Do they get messy from reflecting waves anywhere?

I've thought about this route for the summer as well. Curious about both seasons. I sent my drysuit out for repairs and it probably wont be back in time for this weekend, but I notice the wind blows this way semi-often and wonder how the route is.

Thanks!
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by MCImes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #30654 by Bipwap
A fellow paddler and I did a similar run a couple of years ago - from Point Judith to Jamestown. This was in August, however. We parked in the Point Judith Back Beach lot and launched from the adjacent beach into the Harbor of Refuge. A series of breakwaters provides excellent protection. The only downside is that once you get outside the breakwater, you have a kilometer or so of beam paddling to clear Point Judith and start your downwind.

I've only stopped by Rose Nulman Park once, but my recollection is that there's a safety fence and a steep 1.5 meter slope to a boulder-y shore. Probably doable, but not an ideal launch.

Because we were headed to Jamestown rather than Narragansett Beach we were quite a bit further from shore than you would be. The waves were clean with no reflections. Perhaps the best downwind run I've experienced in New England. Definitely top 3.

Haven't seen Narragansett Beach on a big day, but since it faces SE I'm guessing the surf will be pretty significant. You might be able to shoot the gap at the far end of the beach and head into the protected waters of the Narrow River. Watch out for rocks at that end of the beach, however.

More
6 years 3 months ago #30658 by wesley
We NEVER paddle this course in the Winter Time. NEVER! Low Water Temps, Air Temps, and messy conditions. We stick to East or West Passage, Jamestown Harbor(on calmer days),always stay close to shore and in the lee or we paddle on the Sakonnet where I live or on Narrow River as last option. In fact even in the Summer we pick our days carefully, and drop down to our intermediate skis.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #30659 by MCImes
Thanks Wesley!

When you say East or West passage, not being terribly familiar with this area, where do you launch and take out?

How far into the Rhode Island bay does decent swell penetrate?

For the summer, from Judith to wherever, or in the bay, is the swell unmanageable because its steep and short, reflecting waves from breakwalls, or something else? If you know the area well, how does the tide affect conditions?

Since its a couple hour drive to RI, I'm trying to get a good enough feel for what conditions are manageable yet fun. Ultimately in the summer I'll need to look at WindyTy and make a decision if its worth a day of driving for some paddling.
Anyone's insight on when conditions are ideal or become unmanageable is great.

More
6 years 3 months ago #30660 by wesley
Our Launch Places:
1. McCorrie Point, Portsmouth, RI, Small Bay conditions, perfect for training, rarely overwhelming for intermediate paddlers. My home. Safe most of the time. Use most often.
2. Bay Voyage Inn, Jamestown, RI, Just South of Newport Bridge, This is Jamestown Harbor. Many options. Can be rough, always jobbly. You will have to pay attention. Summer we use all the time. Winter on the calm days.
3.Fort Wetheral(sp), Jamestown, RI, Ride the Bull Race Course, Paddle out 100 yards and you in the fray. Gets rough immediately for intermediate paddlers. On rougher days we use our intermediate skis now. When we were younger advance skis on these days. Never use in the winter.
4. South Ferry, West Passage, summer only.
5. North KIngston Town Beach(Town of Wickford). Protected, use anytime almost.
6. Third Beach, Middletown, RI on Sakonnet and within half mile in true ocean conditions or head North for Bay conditions. Use in Summer/Fall mainly.
7.Weavers Cove, Portsmouth, RI, East Passage. Summer only

Take a look at a chart of Narragansett Bay and you will see all these places. We are lucky to have so many places for all types of paddling virtually year around for any skill level though we are in drysuits 6 months of year and are at a disadvantage compared to warm water paddlers, though our cold tolerance is much better, since we are exposed to very cold water/air temps. You are right to ask about launch sites. LOCAL knowledge is BEST no matter where you paddle.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

Latest Forum Topics