Anyone go 'Walking With Giants' this week in SoCal?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #34263 by MCImes
California has had some crazy wind and waves this week. We had 35kt wind and higher gusts a couple days ago, 25kt on monday, and ~18-23kt last night. Maverick's (a very famous surf spot by San Francisco) had 20+ footers all week. My area had 6-11ft waves and small craft advisory all week. 

Further south by LA, I looked at the ocean Monday and Tuesday and decided it was too hectic to attempt. Waves were critical in open water and breaking everywhere and anywhere. Yesterday finally calmed down a little bit and I went out in some of the biggest conditions I've felt comfortable going out in (and only 1 swim :) ). 

7-8ft is no freaking joke. Its the first time I've been a mile off shore and had double overhead+ swell pass by regularly. Steep swell too. When the 4.5ft ground swell merged with the 3-7ft wind swell, it easily produced 8+ footers with a much steeper face than usual. I almost thought one monster was going to break on me in open water but it fell apart just before it got to me (thankfully). I've been out in 7 ft swell a few timesl, but typically its longer period, like 12-18 second. This was much shorter due to the high winds and a steep faced 8 ft wall of water is quite intimidating!

last week we had large ultra long period swell, like 2.5ft @ 22 seconds according to surfline. When it slowed down and stacked up a couple hundreds yards off shore they were easily the same size as last night or bigger. Probably 7-10 feet before they went critical but I wasnt riding them, just floating along. I had a blissful moment sitting just outside the far edge of the surf zone watching a monster set crash in. On that standout wave of the night, I was eye level with the wall in the parking lot so my head was easily 12+ft above the trough.  With the ultra long period swell like that, I cannot believe how much power is in the wave when it breaks. I wonder how many gallons of water is in a wave like that...

it makes me wonder, how do you aussies get through 6'+ surf on a regular basis? I have practiced going through surf up to about 4', but more than that an im afraid of damaging my boat (and generally getting clobbered).

Anyone else go out and enjoy the waves of the week? 
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by MCImes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34264 by tve
Yup awesome week. 11mi downwinders friday, monday, and yesterday; hopefully the coming monday works out, the forecast is promising...
Attachments:

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago #34265 by MCImes
Nice! I'd come up and join you Monday but will be busy with family. You doing the Goleta to SB harbor run?

More
4 years 10 months ago #34269 by venicebum
MCImes,

Leo Carrillo to MDR Tuesday was good fun. Wind built the entire run! Launched about noon, just had to time the sets from the S swell but still got out dry.
How's the Goleta/SB run?  If you guys do a long one up there, hit me up, would love to join.
Next time wind is ripping like that, I'm planning  Channel Islands harbor to MDR, wind pendulums all the way down coast, would be blasting!!!

Matt

More
4 years 10 months ago #34270 by tve
Venicebum, that sounds like a great run! a few of us did Goleta-SB "pier-to-pier" monday and wednesday. As you probably know, it's 10-11 miles. Organization is chaotic with Dorian, Bruce, and Mike to try and align schedules. Fortunately I can go pretty much anytime :-). The nice part is that we just park in Goleta, do the run, put the skis on the racks in the harbor and take an Uber back to the car. Couldn't be easier and more comfy. Cost is $20, which is so worth it.
Dorian and I have been wanting to do Haskels - Holly - Harbor to get a bit more wild stuff, but his schedule hasn't allowed it so far.
I'd love to do a run on monday afternoon, dunno yet whether anyone else can make it...

Latest Forum Topics