bullet scuppers

• gingerninja
  • Visitor
13 years 9 months ago #4715 by gingerninja
bullet scuppers was created by gingerninja
Hi , does anyone out there know were i could buy bullet scuppers here in australia?

cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4718 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:bullet scuppers
same question for Tahiti ? B)

More
13 years 9 months ago #4719 by Moll
Replied by Moll on topic Re:bullet scuppers
Why not make your own? The kids buy a sour drink which comes in a spray bottle with a round bottom. About 200mm in length and 30mm diameter I cut in half and more or less shaped it to fit the hull sot it tapers. I used a couple of drops of clear glue just to hold in place for a test. The result from 6kph the footwell is empty and can hear a gurgling sound.They are hollow and not even sealed properly so very unprofessional but has the desired result. Cost in my currency to make better ones ZAR20 or AUS$3.

I paddle a Custom Kayaks Horizon and made no other modifications at all. When I get time in the next couple of weeks I wil make a set of better ones and document with photos.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

More
13 years 9 months ago #4720 by [email protected]
In two weeks time we'll have the shop up and running again. We'll be selling the bullet scupper kits featured in the article Bullet Scuppers .

We can post the kits anywhere in the world.

With my sales hat on, I'd say that these kits were designed with optimal scupper, bullet size and shape and size of drain. But I acknowledge some guys seem to have had good results from building their own!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 9 months ago #4722 by Moll
Thanks for the link, I had not seen that article. Very nice to see how it is supposed to be done.
I am not fortunate enough to live at the coast so most of my paddling is on flat water. It is great in particular at this time of the year to keep the cold water out of the footwell.
How about some research into adding a non return valve type system so the footwell doesn't flood while stationary?
I tried with some clear plastic effectively a flap over the bottom of the scupper hole so forced closed when water tried to enter the footwell but naturally opened when pressure was lowered so allowed for drainage. worked reasonabley well but removed them when trying the scuppers.

Would be nice to keep the cold off some of the sensitive areas when getting in and set up.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double

More
13 years 9 months ago #4723 by [email protected]
Some skis like the Epic V12 have retractable scuppers. The scupper also has a flap that acts as a non-return valve.

The Nordic Kayaks Fusion also uses a retractable scupper.

Daryl Remmler from Think sent me some pics of a mod that he made to one of his skis that also allows for the scupper to be opened & closed. I'm just waiting for permission to write a small article about it.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #4724 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:bullet scuppers
For paddling in cold flat water, this works for me:

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Rightarmbad. Reason: Got pictures to work, must be less than 800 pixels

More
13 years 9 months ago #4725 by [email protected]
Images work as attachments to messages (and you can only have one per post).

You click on the "Choose File" button just below this editor area. Choose your image file then click submit.

Rob

Attachments:

More
13 years 9 months ago #4726 by Rightarmbad
I imagine that going to the bailer like a V12 would be easier for a manufacturer than the bullets.
I would love to see a drag comparison.

Just a side note, how much water do other V10 owners have in there footwell at speed.
Mine never seems to empty like the V12, there's always about an inch of water in there.

Thanks Rob, I shall try that with the other picture.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 9 months ago #4727 by Moll
I have though of plugs but my holes are on the other side of my footplate so if I got water in I would not be able to reach to release them. My other thought was to block one of the holes and fit a K1 pump to pump through the other if some water did get in. Just not sure if it is enough of a problem to go through all the hassle.

But hell it's nice to fiddle :blush:

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double

More
13 years 9 months ago #4728 by candela
Replied by candela on topic Re:bullet scuppers

Just a side note, how much water do other V10 owners have in there footwell at speed.
Mine never seems to empty like the V12, there's always about an inch of water in there.

I noticed that last weekend while testing a V10 & V12, the V10 always seemed to have water in it.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4729 by Rightarmbad
You need longer legs :laugh:

More
13 years 9 months ago #4731 by Moll
Rightarmbad wrote:

You need longer legs :laugh:

I assume this was directed at me??? If so longer legs won't help, I am already over 6'

The holes are ight at the front of the footwell.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
Attachments:

More
13 years 9 months ago #4732 by Rightarmbad
Block em up and fit a bailer further back.

• gingerninja
  • Visitor
13 years 9 months ago #4741 by gingerninja
Replied by gingerninja on topic Re:bullet scuppers
Thanks heaps for the info, can you give me a cost for a couple of scupper kits and a contact .

thanks heaps

More
13 years 8 months ago #5037 by Moll
Bumping an old thread here but our winter is now all but over so things are warming up. My temprary solution to keeping cold water out when paddling on flat was to simply insert plastic tubes that fitted snugly in the scupper holes. This means when getting in there is no water coming in to the cockpit. there is just some splash obviously but at the end of the paddle there is still not more than a cup of water in the footwell so the jewels can stay warm in winter. :woohoo: I tried plugging them but the plugs tended to be pushed out, with the tubes there is no pressure build up when the scuppers are below the water level. Also meant no modifications to the boat required and easy enough to remove when not needed.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double

More
13 years 8 months ago #5038 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re:bullet scuppers
robin.mousley wrote:

In two weeks time we'll have the shop up and running again. We'll be selling the bullet scupper kits featured in the article Bullet Scuppers .

We can post the kits anywhere in the world.

Where is the link to the shop??

More
13 years 8 months ago #5041 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:bullet scuppers
Hi Rob,

I have a 2009 model surf70 pro and a mate has a new green 7.
My bullet scuppers won't start "gurgling until I'm doing about 13kph, wheras the green 7 scuppers gurgle at about 8kph and start screaming not much faster than that. The scupper shape is slightly different. My boat always has 2-3 centimetres of water in the cockpit, and the green 7 is boat dry. Obviously the shape of the scupper is important.
How difficult is it to change the scupper hood alone?

More
13 years 8 months ago #5044 by timforan
Replied by timforan on topic Re:bullet scuppers
I will be selling polypropylene bullets in the next couple of days that can be retro fitted currently to Fenn skis. These have been machined after trialling different shapes. They start to constantly gurgle around 9.2-9.5km. I will post some pictures shortly.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #5074 by timforan
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by timforan.

Latest Forum Topics