S18S - Refined

More
9 years 5 months ago #22312 by Simon Haywood
S18S - Refined was created by Simon Haywood
Eight months ago I was hospitalised with a vestibular disorder...It effects my balance, some days more than others. Rather than give up paddling, I just paddle more stable skis on those days.
My local retailer of Stellar Skis (James Payne[he’s a Great Guy] of Go Paddle Sports, Osborne Park) has been at me for months to try the S18S. 4 days ago he gave me a brand new one – just arrived direct from the factory - the refined S18S (Excel – 12.5kg) to go and try! – a great bit of retailing! One paddle and I was hooked! So I bought it...
18months or so ago - I owned both model Epic V8 (Red Nose)...The feel in the water is very similar – although, I do feel faster in the S18S and my garmin 910xt says the S18S is faster! I’ve now paddled it three times in four days – it’s a hoot – can’t wait till it gets to 25knots + of wind - this thing is going to fly!
What I like over the V8 is the full bulkhead front & rear – it makes the ski feel a lot stronger and stiffer. The handles are better than what I had on my V8’s - really like the access hatches too – gives great versatility – check inside these hatches - you can see real attention to detail and great craftsmanship by the builder too. The twin bullet venturi keeps the ski free of water once moving. The footboard is typical Stellar – Rock solid. Now with drink bottle holder too.

Do yourself a favour – don’t take my word for it – go and try one yourself!

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22318 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic S18S - Refined
Sorry to hear about the vestibular disorder. I have known two people and a dog that have had it and it's a bitch. They all recovered with no relapses so far (years later) so hang in there....

As a S18s owner I can confirm thoes upgrades are needed. The handles amidship are a super addition. The hull is thick there and when I try and pick mine up at its balance point it's very hard to hold. I have dropped my ski several times (in the water) trying to get it on my sholder for lack of a good grip. The duel bailers are very welcome and asuming they are put on correctly (mine weren't) should bail nicely. With my misplaced bullet mine hardly drains at all past gravity draining. Mine is still having a Epic bailer bailerplasty this winter. I wish Stellar would do somthing like Epic and put in a serious bailer, especially with thoes huge bucket/footwell.

I really like the S18s, nice and stable for beginners but still fun in a blow for more advanced paddlers. When it's rough out I can stay close or beat intermediate paddlers on an up/down wind corse on much faster skis (V10 2gen) and if half the corse wasn't basically flat would have beat both. You can just put power down anywhere and drive it hard in confused or difficult conditions. ... Part of the fun of all these beginner skis. For me it is also more fun to paddle in short steep chop. Being short with lots of rocker it just fits in the chop better and changes direction super quickly. If I'm on my game I can catch cross chop much easer than I can on my V10 as it feels like it's on rails in comparison and I just can't change directions quick enough. With the 4" rudder on S18s is a bit out of control in short steep chop downwind, It kind of darts all over and I feel a little like I'm being taken for a ride rather than the other way around. . The 8" fixes that. I paddle my V10 90% of the time but every time I hop off the S18s i can't help but think..... Ya know, that was really fun!

Something that potential buyers should know (assuming it hasn't changed) is the packable space under the hatches is smaller than one would think. It is only about half the stern and a third of the bow. The bulkheads are far closer to the hatches than one would think.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
9 years 5 months ago #22336 by TaffyMick
Replied by TaffyMick on topic S18S - Refined
While the main paddler of the S18S is the wife, I use the S18S when things turns nasty on the water too. How much speed this thing can get up to, especially in steep close cross chop! The shortness and pronounced rocker makes for a ski that will hold its own against more advanced boats in the right conditions.

Wish mine had the handles too for the same reason as Bill. Overall, an underestimated ski.

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22452 by Laz
Replied by Laz on topic S18S - Refined
"The twin bullet venturi keeps the ski free of water once moving."

Hi Simon,
how is the drain speed of the dual venturi in comparison with Anderson Mini Baler?

Sorry guys my Google translator sucks every time...again & again
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Laz.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22453 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic S18S - Refined
Laz, The short answer - Yes, The Andersen bailer would be quicker - is my opinion.

That said, I will not be fitting one to this ski:
1, This ski was given to me to trial(it was fitted with two venturi) I fell in love with it - So I bought it! I wasn't going to give it back!
2, To fit one to a ski with two venturi adding a third perforation in close proximity MAY(I don't know) weaken the structure - Given, I'll only ever paddle this ski in 24knots plus - I just don't want doubt.
3, I don't think there is a lot difference between two venturi and the Andersen bailer - there is enough to notice.
4. 1 x Venturi 100% drag all the time, 2 x veturi is 200% drag all the time - Andersen bailer is only drag when its down (there is fair bit when its down - that's how they work!) So, if you have the ability to raise & lower on the fly without breaking stride then there is an advantage - Is that worth all the trouble - for me it is.
5, My thought is a completely flat/smooth bottom will skate faster - so having the ability to close/retract a Andersen bailer gives you that - Also, something that might be over looked - in some instances having the Andersen bailer down - whilst it causes drag it helps pivot the ski like a yacht's keel...I've noticed that in the SR & SEI

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
9 years 5 months ago #22518 by Laz
Replied by Laz on topic S18S - Refined
Thanks Simon,

I just consider to pull the trigger for a 2014 or a 2015 S18S Excel...
but what is wisdom...

Sorry guys my Google translator sucks every time...again & again

Latest Forum Topics