Proper footboard/rudder setup

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #12756 by drjay9051
As I continue to learn I have yet another question. Search did not provide answer for me.

When I bought my Epic it was set up with the top (rudder) portion of the footboard tilted back toward the bucket. It was explained to me that this would allow for rudder actuation without lifting my heels off the footboard. Please see below:

SIDE VIEW OF SKI

/
\

In the above setup my toes feel pretty cramped and I'm wondering if I should alter the angle of the rudder pedals as below with the pedals in a straight line with the footboard

\
\

I'm pretty sure I could press the rudder pedals with my toes in this second position. I know that ultimately proper setup is a matter of trial and error.Just looking for some info from those of you who are more experienced. Large feet size 12 EEE width if that matters.

Also, does one press rudder pedals with the toes or balls of feet.

Sadly, it's pouring rain today but who cares. I'm heading out after work!!
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by drjay9051.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
11 years 8 months ago #12757 by JeandeFlorette
Replied by JeandeFlorette on topic Re: Proper footboard/rudder setup
hi DJAY,

positioning of the rudder pedals is pretty much a personal thing. If you feel that your toes/feet are cramped, flatten it to the point where you feel more comfort. Some paddlers (like me) like their rudders flat (on the same plane as the foot plate) : in this position you have to press hard on the pedal if you were to make a hard turn as opposed to using just the toes in the current inclined position. Try various positions until you feel comfortable. The reason you dod not see any advice on this site is due to the fact that there is no right or wrong answer. Depending on condition, race or fitness paddle, you may want to re-adjust again, only trouble is some skis are harder to adjust than others and you need to ensure that the rudder is dead straight upon adjustment : the way I do it in mine is dig a hole in the sand, straighten rudder and put in in the hole, fill it up with sand so it does not move,compact the sand if needed. then sit in the craft and get some one to adjust the pedals for you, foot plate adjustment is another important aspect of the set up for your comfort. Depending on the curvature of the bucket you need to leave some room to allow you to perform leg drive comfortably.

Take care.

JDF :P

More
11 years 8 months ago #12758 by drjay9051
JDF:

Thanks. I will mess around with it a bit this afternoon

DRJ

Latest Forum Topics