To paddle a Hammerhead or not?

More
11 years 7 months ago #13180 by smilicus
Hello surfskiers.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have been out on a Horizon and a Evo before and was hooked from the first time. I am working in the Non Profit sector (Charity) and could not afford the ski I wanted then, so left the surfski on the back burner for a while.

Now, with summer approaching fast, I want to get started, but funds are tight. Since me and the wife wants to start together, we would need two skies and our budget only allows for old Hammer head sufrskies

SO here is the question: Is it worth it to purchase a hamerhead and get on the water (even thou it might not paddle as well as the HORIZON) or rather postpone and buy something decent in 6 months?

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13184 by Nige
Get the Hammerheads. They're very good skis to learn on (stable, easy to remount and virtually indestructible) and will teach you all the basics until you're in a position to upgrade.

Just make sure you get the right bucket length as they aren't adjustable, although you can pad up the pedals a bit if the bucket is too long.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13238 by smilicus
Thanks Nige

Any idea which is better - Hammer or Wedge?

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
11 years 7 months ago #13243 by [email protected]
I stand under correction, but I think they're very similar.

I started on a Wedge and had great fun on it until I eventually bought a Brian's Kayaks Molokai...

Just - as Nige said, be sure of the leg length. The old rule was that you should be able to fit a fist under your knee, but no more, if the leg length is right.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 7 months ago #13244 by smilicus
Thanks for the info Rob. Will sure be on the look out for a pair of Hammerheads/Wedges.

I'll be watching all the usual on line places (gumtree, etc) but let me know if any of the guys on the forum are selling theirs or if you know of any being advertised elsewhere.

Happy paddling all

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
11 years 7 months ago #13259 by Nige
Hi Smilicus,

You don't say where you're from, but if you're in SA, on the website www.sporttrader.co.za there's a guy in Durban selling a Scarab at what looks like a bargain price of R950. Its a similar ski to the Hammerhead, but is actually even better, lovely ski to play in the waves!

More
11 years 7 months ago #13271 by smilicus
Thanks Nige, but I am down in the Cape.

Another question, would a Mark 1 ski be a good alternative to the hammer/wedge/scarrab?

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
11 years 7 months ago #13292 by Nige
The Mark 1 isn't as stable as the other 3 skis, stability is more in the intermediate category. Custom Kayaks originally brought it out as their racing ski about 10 years ago, and its not an entry level ski like the Horizon. If you're up for the challenge you could learn on it, but it would take you longer to master.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13297 by smilicus
Thank you for the info Nige. I will rather opt for the hammerhead then.

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
11 years 7 months ago #13464 by smilicus
Hello Guys

THanks for all the input, bought a Hammerhead ski that is in excellent condition this week. Thank goodness for gumtree.

Just need to collect it still and then I can get paddling in Gordons' Bay at the Southern Swells club.

Enjoy the weekend and have a great paddle

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #13613 by smilicus

First day out in Gordon's Bay on the Hammerhead. Great Fun

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by smilicus.

Latest Forum Topics