Sharing a lesson learnt

More
11 years 4 months ago #14986 by GlenRusky
Paddling last Friday morning off Malabar heads in Sydney’s east. About 1.5 km out and paddling directly into the sun, I let a 40 ft cruiser pass in front of me. Didn’t realise that they were trolling with surface lures and before I knew it, I was over one of their lines. It picked up my rudder, swung me around and there I was, catch of the day! Biggest Swordfish they’ll ever catch ;)
Pretty rough and not really wanting to jump over to remove it, I swung my legs over the side and waited until they reversed up. Luckily it came free without anyone needing to get too wet!
Lesson learnt: give plenty of room with cruisers about, particularly astern.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 ML (4 WWR)
Previous Skis: Fenn Spark - carbon, Vajda Hawx elite, Fenn Swordfish - carbon, Fenn Elite - carbon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jerry
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #14987 by Jerry
Replied by Jerry on topic Re: Sharing a lesson learnt
I've had similar incidents with more consequence.

I paddle a lot of lake due to my geographic location, so my run ins with dock and boat fisherman are more frequent.

Most times we can untangle or I can break their lines.

However once, the lure must have been near the surface and I caught the line around my neck. I felt the line traveling and before I could stop the hook lodged in my back shoulder.

Well, now I try to give any boat or shore fishermen as much distance as possible.

Like your story, my guy had an "Epic" catch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.