Carbon v's Fibre Glass

More
11 years 2 months ago #15638 by AdamC
Carbon v's Fibre Glass was created by AdamC
Tossing up between a Carbon EPIC v's an Ultra.
Ive been told the carbon degrades quicker in sun & becomes more brittle & is much more expensive to repair.
Just wondering general opinion on the topic? Obviously the carbon has a significant p@rn factor :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15672 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: Carbon v's Fibre Glass
I'm not sure about the repair part. I was under the impression that carbon and glass were easy to repair, not so with kevlar layups. The Ultra is (I think) a combo of all three?

Both Epic Ultra and carbon layups are now better than compared with just a few years ago in terms of strength and durability.

I think the clear gelcoat on the carbon is UV resistant - but I don't think it would be a good idea to store the carbon ski in the sun, though.

The stiffness of the carbon skis is really nice from what I'm told. FWIW, I just ordered a new V10 Elite.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15673 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Carbon v's Fibre Glass
Another factor to consider is the core material and the lamination process.Seems things are getting better with the major brands doing more pre pegs and heat cures. (Autoclaves coming soon i would guess). Regardind the Cores My own experience points to vacuem infusion being a less consistent and readily controlled (i.e. complete wet out and no dry spots) process then prepeg . With the prepeg the builder has much tighter control on resins distribution and resin/cloth ratio which are both key to a solid lightweight laminate. IMHO , for cores , say NO to core mat . They are all being proprietary as to the exact cores they use in their laminates BUT the new ones from the major ski brands seem to be coming out nice. Epic , I believe is prepeg and heat cure. with prepeg the hybrids seem to be coming out real nice , light , tight and not completely outta sight ($$$$$). My carbon cockpit S-glass hybrid Huki S1-XL came out at 25.2 pounds and that's with a heavier than standard S-glass cloth on the hull (5.7 oz vs. 3.7 oz , ups the stiffness and strength) Now 25.2 pounds is lighter than a lot of "carbon" boats out there.SO..... Carbon and Fiber glass are easier to repair than kevlar , if you sand through to the fabric (which you will) the kevlar gets all fuzzy.Lot's of debate on weight but I reckon that unless your uber elite anything below 28 pounds is plenty light enough and the full carbon super lights are (as noted by the mfg.) more susceptible to dings and off the water failures (easy on thosee rack straps ! ). Real Happy with the build quality and performance of my Huki , while they are hard to get outside the West Coast US , they are awesome boats and worth a look.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15676 by CyberSki
Replied by CyberSki on topic Re: Carbon v's Fibre Glass
Interested in that Huki of yours Sandy - as mine is just being finished now in Jude's factory in California as I write this. Mine is also a S1-XL in S-glass, but Jude added Carbon in the cockpit area (for no charge!)to add more stiffness. Hope to have mine soon.

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

More
11 years 2 months ago #15677 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Carbon v's Fibre Glass
Great boat Cyberski , all of the above plus what's worthy of another thread !