Remounting Challenges

More
11 years 1 month ago #15898 by cjborg
Remounting Challenges was created by cjborg
I need to figure out how to assist a doubles partner remount the ski; the problem is, however, that she has a shoulder injury and has little strength pulling from an overhead angle, as when in the water pulling oneself upward onto the ski. She's fine with pulling at horizontal or below, i.e., paddling, but that doesn't help when trying to get one's body from the water to a position level with or above the ski for the remount.

I've thought of carrying a spare nylon strap that could be be looped around the ski and form a sort of stirrup so that leg strength can assist until she's out of the water enough to use her arms effectively. I figure if I stay in the water to help keep the boat from rolling toward the side she's mounting, it might work.

Before monkeying around with that idea, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has encountered and solved such a problem already.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15902 by kevin brunette
I think you should try tilting the boat towards your partner rather than away from her. The seat rail is then much closer to the water, making it easier to climb up and over.
Hope this helps.

FENN Bluefin, XT, Swordfish S
Author and publisher at South Easter Communications of books in the SURFSKI series, aimed at recreational to advanced paddlers. Look at the Facebook page Surfski know-how and visit www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #15905 by cjborg
Replied by cjborg on topic Re: Remounting Challenges
First off, Thanks for thinking about this!

We actually do that . . . I didn't describe it well. She can't reach up and over to apply downward pressure to the opposite seat rail because of the shoulder injury, so the boat rolls towards her as she pulls herself up. Unless I stay in the water to stabilize the boat, it rolls completely over on her. But even with the boat tilted toward her to begin with, she's not able to reach upward and pull herself up into the boat. Our double is a Fenn XT . . . pretty high volume . . . so it sits up pretty high when unoccupied. I'm trying to figure out how to help her get her center of gravity up to boat height without using shoulder strength. If she can get her center of gravity slightly above the boat, she can manage it from there with my assisting to pull the boat back to level as she climbs in.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by cjborg. Reason: thought of additional point