Help! Which boat?!

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #16137 by 7ender
Help! Which boat?! was created by 7ender
Hey guys,
I need some quick advice. I'm looking at checking out two used boats today, both I think for a good price.

Please keep in mind i'm on a very tight budget.
First is a carbon/fiberglass Mako Millenium, great condition.
Second is an older Epic V10 Performance, in good condition with a few repairs. It is one of the ones with the line alone the seam, not the painted tips.

I'm aware that these are very different boats. What i'm having trouble finding is the average resale value of them- I know they are both pretty good deals, but I can't really find any past sales of either boat specifically (only see newer epic's for much more, and all the millenium sales are from a long time ago). Also in terms of stability, i know the millenium is very tippy but im wondering how the two might compare- I notice almost everyone here seems to have the v10 sport rather than the regular v10.

What do you guys think?
Thanks for the help.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by 7ender.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #16139 by Simon Haywood
Not knowing how old the boats are - very difficult.
Not knowing which country being sold in - even more so!

Take each ski for a test paddle - at the very least make sure you can fit in them and it is comfortable.

Never paddled a Mako Millenium...Only heard they were tippy. Try it yourself is the best suggestion.

Had a V10sport - nice boat - like all skis - overpriced here (Australia)

At the rear of the Epic you have a 12 digit/character reference
this is called a HIN (Hull Indentification Numer) The Fenn will have a 12 digit somewhere:
The first Three is the manufacturers code
The next Five is the serial number of the individual ski.
The last four is date of manufacture and MY (model Year)
The letters A-L represent the month A = January, L = December
So a code where the last 4 digits are K213 : says that it is November 2012 build, as Model year 2013 product

You'd be surprised how many brand new skis are in fact several years old! Doesn't perhaps make any difference day one - try selling it down the track to someone who knows how to read the HIN!

Epic skis have another code after that refers to model of ski etc...

As for price...I've bought and sold a few skis. The price depends on which side of the transaction you are on!

Find a price you are happy with...if the seller is prepared to accept...Then its a deal!

The formula I have used as a guide - if all else is the same;
Band New ski looses between 12-20% in the first year, perhaps about 8-10% second year and a decreasing amount then on.

In the Epic case, Skis sold in Australia are bought/sold for a higher price new and second hand compared to other parts of the world(even NZ!)...Why, who knows!

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Simon Haywood.

More
11 years 1 month ago #16142 by 7ender
Replied by 7ender on topic Re: Help! Which boat?!
Thanks!! Well I bought the Millenium!

I'm so excited to try it! I know it's not exactly new equipment and i'm sure i'll struggle on it, but i'm looking forward to it!

Hopefully after some practice i'll get better and I look forward to meeting any of you guys that are in SD.

More
11 years 1 month ago #16226 by 7ender
Replied by 7ender on topic Re: Help! Which boat?!
Oh man, just got back from my first paddle! I only stayed for about an hour, but I had a pretty hard time. The millennium really is unstable :p. By the end I could make it about 100 yards or so before tipping over, but that was about it haha.

Looking forward to getting back out there and hopefully continuing to progress:)

Latest Forum Topics