Garmin 310 question

More
11 years 3 days ago #16786 by Newbflat
Garmin 310 question was created by Newbflat
I'm thinking of picking up a Garmin 310xt but I'm curious how fast it updates speed. The Garmin 76CSx I'm using now updates about once a second more or less. Is the 310xt slower?

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 days ago - 11 years 3 days ago #16787 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic Re: Garmin 310 question

Newbflat wrote: I'm thinking of picking up a Garmin 310xt but I'm curious how fast it updates speed. The Garmin 76CSx I'm using now updates about once a second more or less. Is the 310xt slower?

Bill,

The 310XT has two data-recording modes, smart recording and every second recording.

From the Garmin website FAQ:

Smart Recording records key points where the fitness device changes direction, speed, heart rate or elevation. This recording type allows the user extended recording time given that it is recording less track points, thus taking up less memory.

Every Second Recording records the activities information every second no matter if the device changes direction, speed, heart rate or elevation. This recording type provides a more defined track log of your activity. However, recording time will be reduced given that it taking up more memory.

To change modes:
support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport...e0-d01c-000000000000}

Greg Stamer
Last edit: 11 years 3 days ago by gstamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newbflat

More
11 years 3 days ago #16788 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Re: Garmin 310 question
Thanks gstamer...

I was unclear if the display shows these updates every second or if it's just recorded and only seen after download.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
11 years 3 days ago #16789 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Re: Garmin 310 question
I would say, yes

More
11 years 3 days ago #16790 by Kayaker Greg
I have both and you will find the 76CSx updates the speed much quicker and is more accurate. Quite noticable when you first change from the 76CSx to the 310xt, but you get used to it lagging behind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newbflat

More
11 years 3 days ago #16795 by Newbflat

Kayaker Greg wrote: I have both and you will find the 76CSx updates the speed much quicker and is more accurate. Quite noticable when you first change from the 76CSx to the 310xt, but you get used to it lagging behind.

Well that's a bummer.. I really like the update speed of the 76CSx. Any Idea about the Suunto
Ambit?

Any thoughts on dealing with the 76CSx?... It's not very handy in the ski. Never found a good place for it.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
11 years 3 days ago #16798 by Kayaker Greg
I wouldn't worry about it, just use the Garmin 310xt, you will get used to it lagging a bit. I used to mount the 76CSx in its dry bag to a couple of strips of velcro mounted in front of the foot pedals, the numbers are large enough to read from there, tethered of course, now I just use the 310xt, for sea kayaking as well, only use the 76CSx when I need the maps or looking for a campsite for eg.

More
11 years 3 days ago #16802 by Kennneee
Replied by Kennneee on topic Re: Garmin 310 question
Greg,

How much does it impact the memory? Wondering how many miles I can go before it will max out? Thanks.

Ken

More
11 years 3 days ago #16803 by Kayaker Greg
Hi Ken, I'm not really sure what your asking, it has plenty of memory, in fact only recently did I adjust the settings to delete the last workout once downloaded to Garmin connect when something was corrupted during a download and I reset the unit. If your going to use the 310xt on a trip for a couple of weeks with recharge of the battery as your able, I think the memory will last the duration of your trip, if thats what your asking? But I have not used it in this capacity as when I go on trips I usually don't have recharge options.

More
11 years 3 days ago #16806 by Kennneee
Replied by Kennneee on topic Re: Garmin 310 question
Greg,

You answered my question. I wondered if I would lose the beginning of a long paddle by the time it was over. Sounds like it isn't a problem. THANKS.

Ken

More
11 years 2 days ago #16811 by Newbflat

Kayaker Greg wrote: I wouldn't worry about it, just use the Garmin 310xt, you will get used to it lagging a bit. I used to mount the 76CSx in its dry bag to a couple of strips of velcro mounted in front of the foot pedals, the numbers are large enough to read from there, tethered of course, now I just use the 310xt, for sea kayaking as well, only use the 76CSx when I need the maps or looking for a campsite for eg.

That's how i use my 76CSx. But i just snap it under a bungee in front of my feet and have it tethered. Down there in front of my feet its out of reach if i want to use it for anything more than just watching speed. I cant start it after i warm up at the start of my coarse. If i drop it between my knees it looses a lot of satellite connection and reads erratically. I wish it was actually waterproof as it would be easier to mount. Mine stopped working at one point and i opened it up and poured about a shot's worth of water out of the inside. A few days over a heater had it working fine again and now it lives in a drybag.

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Latest Forum Topics