downwind angle

More
10 years 9 months ago #17836 by zachhandler
downwind angle was created by zachhandler
I'm wondering at what angle from the wind a skilled paddler can navigate and still have the whole trip be a downwind paddle. 15 degrees off of directly downwind? 30 degrees? I am not talking about the angle one can surf on an individual wave, but the overall angle for the whole trip.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17837 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic downwind angle
The variable of background swell angle and size to the wind/runners could have a big effect on the answer. With a reasonable swell you can be using the swell to cut back across the runner lines increasing the angle of the downwind line.

Taking background swell out I would have guestimated somewhere between 15 and 30 depending on the size of the runners (effects how much "run" is generated)

If I am out in the bay area I like to do downwinds in I call it taking my medicine when I choose to turn across the swell/runners and paddle 1 to 2km to get the best line before turning to where I'm going. If I see that I am having to do too much working across the runners I will just turn and paddle across again until the angle has improved. This way I can enjoy the downwind rather than having to concentrate on working across to a particular point. Nothing worse that coming to the coastline and having to paddle a up to a few hundred metres across the runners to beach in the right place. I like to ease off and coast right up to where I'm getting out, the best feeling after a downwind.

Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics