Topic-icon WHAT DOES A LIFEGUARD SPEC SKI MEAN ??

6 days 3 hours ago #28113 by yogavnture
I LIKE SHALLOW SEATED BOATS . IM HEARING THAT THESE BOATS ARE SIMILAR TO WHAT MAGNUM PI PADDLED IN HIS SERIES AND MAYBE WHAT HAYDEN AND VALHALLA MAKE. ARE NOT THESE THE ORIGINAL SURF SKIS AND WHY ARE THEY SHAPED THE WAY THEY ARE . WHY DO I LIKE SHALLOW SMALL SEATS ON A SURF SKI THAT ALLOW ME TO BE ONE WITH THE WATER?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 days 3 hours ago #28114 by yogavnture
MY INITIAL SEARCH HAS LED ME TO GAISFORD SURF EQUIP. SITE . LOOK AT PICS. U ARE ON TOP OF THE BOAT NOT IN IT . AM I JUST TOTALLY BONKERS TO LIKE THIS ???????? I KNOW IT WILL BE MORE TIPPY BUT I LOVE WAVES COMING OVER ME.

6 days 50 minutes ago #28120 by photofr
It is my understanding that spec skis (surf life saving skis) were the first skis, and then long distance skis came about.

One way to look at it is:
Spec skis are more like BMX bicycles
Surfskis are more like cross country mountain bikes.
They are both kayaks, but just like the two bikes above, they are still two different sports.

Spec skis use strick restrictions. They have to be somewhat short, somewhat wide, and somewhat heavy. Best uses: surf lifesaving competition (not lifeguard), entering and exiting surf zones, surfing. By design, they can be quite fun for downwind paddling, but they are heavy. They are shaped more like a banana than an ironing board (they have quite a bit of rocker) so they are ver fun in the surf.

Long distance surfskis are ver different:
They have zero restrictions; they can be any length, as narrow or as wide as you want, and they can weigh very little. Best uses: long distance ocean paddling, downwind... but insidently are very fun and fun on flatter bodies of water.

Spec skis are so wide that paddlers simply raise their sitting position to try to obtain additional power. In turn, this makes the surfski sitting position quite comfortable.

If you are not going to be racing in surf lifesaving competition, you would do a whole better getting a standard surfski. Today's ski models are nearly endless. Almost standard surfskis are going to be faster on flat water (than a spec ski). Many of today's standard surfskis are going to provide as much or more stability than a spec ski: Nelo 510, Nelo 520, Epic v7, Epic v8, etc.

Interestingly enough, new plastic skis are cheaper, more durable, and nearly the same weight as a spec ski. Plastic skis like the Nelo 510 will most likely really surprise you in terms of speed.

You can probably get a bmx bike for your next long distance bike race, but you would do better with a better suited bike / equipment.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

6 days 30 minutes ago - 5 days 23 hours ago #28121 by Uffilation
Spec skis are made that way to get fast and efficient through the surf and back, esp. the front when getting back on steep waves. Flat/shallow, getting easily on and off if you rescue someone. Deep legs because of shallow seat for connecting body to boat. Heavy due to their indended use > needs sturdiness. Being mostly used within a 1 mile range off the beach, except ... check "Hank McGregor Making of a legend" on youtube from 6min. onwards.

There are serveral websites documenting the (dep. on origin) 100+ years history of surfskis ... from oyster farming board 100 years ago ... then to use as livesaving board ... to ski ... to spec ski ... to ocean surfski, just check google on "surfski history", see also on youtube "Durban Surf Lifesaving Club presents-The History of the Surfski Part 1"

They are aerodynamically designed so they can fly trough the surf, see intro here
yep, I was joking

Btw. besides these, if it is just the flat seat SOT aspect that you like, there are many flat shallow recreational SOT-surfski crossovers, some even not too slow, many made of thermoplastics these days, many of composites, some oldschool, some contemporary light weight ... just google your way through google images, it's fun.

And makers try to fill any possible niche these days, even fishing skis, also used as snorkeling/diving platform: www.google.de/search?q=cobra&hl=de&site=...bm=isch&q=fishingski

and even flat plastic fishing SOT ski crossovers are not "new", whatever the marketing tries to convey these days though lol, pic of the 1970s:
www.mickclarke.co.uk/images/FISHING.jpg

However, as photofr said ... try some standard skis, too ... note that even there are some which might have shallow enough seats for you.

5 days 17 hours ago #28122 by yogavnture
I give up. maybe their is some sort of event in southern Europe next summer where all the models will be at the event

5 days 14 hours ago #28124 by Oskar
"Spec" stands for specification.
There are different specifications but as far as I know they are all based on the Australian SLSA specification.
You can have a look at the latest New Zealand specification here.
www.fennkayaks.co.nz/SLSNZspecNov16.pdf

5 days 1 hour ago #28126 by yogavnture
thanks oskar. I don't really want I lifeguard boat but I'm look ing at pics off them and they all seem to have the shallow seat I'm looking for. and possibly the abilty to make legs long if I choose. their is a company carbon something carbonology or something that looks like they might have something close. too many boats out their and not possible to choose from a pic. need to sit in some

5 days 1 hour ago #28127 by yogavnture
maybe what I'm looking for is a hayden pr 3??????????go to hayden look at pr3 model. shallow seat small hump long legs if u want. this must be what I'm looking for .

4 days 14 hours ago #28131 by Oskar
yogavnture,
The Fenn LS conforms with the SLSA specifications, has an adjustable footrest system which will fit a 6'6 paddler, and is available in either deep or shallow seat version. Sound like it's exactly what you're looking for.

4 days 5 hours ago #28133 by yogavnture
sounds like u might be right. heck if a guy is spending 4000 euros on a boat shouldnt he have a custom seat. just wear a minimal swim suit to the factory and make a butt I'mpression for custom fit

3 days 21 hours ago #28135 by Ranga
Custom seat, kidding right?
How are you going to rotate with a perfectly fitting seat?
If you really want one, just find yourself a friendly Formula 1 racing team workshop, they do this for their drivers, the one downside however is it will cost you many more thousand euros than the ski, maybe at a guess 10-20 000 euro, it will be very light and strong, but then another downside you will have to send the said seat to your preferred ski manufacturer for them to fit it! That will be another expense.
Alternatively, just buy the ski of your choice and paddle it like all the other thousands of paddlers out there. I doubt the Fenn LS costs 4000 euros either should be less than 3000.

3 days 11 hours ago - 3 days 11 hours ago #28139 by Uffilation
he wants a more shallow higher seat and sit more on the boat instead of in the boat ... so more like sitting on a board ... so besides those skis, that offer such options ...

custom shallow seat examples, surfskis ... scroll down ... eg. july/june 2014 and older:
www.facebook.com/vizfibreglassrepairs/

I mean, besides getting a SUP board and adding stern rudder and footpedals to it lol:
star-board-sup.com/2017/hard-board-overview/#race-tab
+
www.sport-schroeer.de/media/image/19/04/...60440_11_720x600.jpg

3 days 5 hours ago #28140 by yogavnture
I don't think u are getting my point. from what I can see the maini push of surf ski manufacturing is to push racing type skis. but alot of us just want to tool around on a fast boat. I don't need a coned front end just to paddle across a bay. uffilation isright I'm used to a shallow seat. deep legs that can be adjusted long . and rudder over the back mainly due to then I put boat down on ground normally . along with a over rear rudder is less apt to be damaged and will function almost as well as underboard rudder and to be blunt it might have as much drag as underboard rudder. I'm me not the thousands of others . but u can be the thousands of others if you want

3 days 5 hours ago #28141 by yogavnture
It looks like the fenn lifesaving boat might be ffor me... the shallow seat option. it looks like it has legs for men up to 6 foot 6 inches. when is epic gonna get with the program? and make a fun boat that has shallow seat for fun and ease to get legs out for bracing. long legs if one chooses. dump the big leg hump.. with practice I think one could learn to master some waves with the boat. its like riding a bike

3 days 4 hours ago #28142 by photofr
Yoga:
It really seems to me like you haven't given the Epic V8 a try. It has a remarkably shallow seat, almost as shallow as the 520 from Nelo.

Facts that may interest you:
-- Most surf lifesaving skis will be slower than even the "slowest" ocean surfski - at least to "tool around".
-- If you want to go really fast, you'll need an Elite ocean ski, and it will be tippy, but you don't have to go Elite Fast. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised to see how fast and stable newer Ocean Surfskis are, even entry-level skis!!!

Seemingly, you are looking for the "wrong" ski. You want to a shallow seat, so you are looking at surf lifesaving skis. However, your program isn't the surf. You should be looking for a ski in the states (because there is plenty to choose from), and aiming at an Ocean Ski that will be stable enough for you. Should the seat not be shallow enough, place a 3-pad combo and immediately fix the problem. Should the ski the become too tippy, simply choose another ski that is stable enough for you.

Personally, I'd show up to a testing center with my pad in hand.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yogavnture

3 days 2 hours ago - 3 days 2 hours ago #28143 by Uffilation
" from what I can see the maini push of surf ski manufacturing is to push racing type skis."

used to be until some years ago

- but since couple of years, there are plenty entry/level and intermediate skis

- some have or allow for higher/shallow seating position

- you can allways use a padding kit as or custom seat insert to raise seating position

- some allow stern rubber (kick-up rudder) option, if not, retro fitting kits are avaible (note there reason for the foward under hull rudder position for surfskis
is that theyre main submersed under water when on steeper, shorter waves).

- there are many 2nd hand oldschool (almost boardlike) SOT-type skis with shallow seats

- there are a couple of SOT-surfski crossovers focussing on the recreational paddler (often with stern kick-up rudder) these days

All there, just stick you head out B)

2 days 22 hours ago #28148 by yogavnture
I will give the v8 a try... all I'm saying is that I have seen a few manufacturers selling lifesaving skis and they have shallow seats with long legs. I will try v8 when I get to states maybe It would work. I guess as an American that goes to Europe every year for the past 15. I get frustated with lang. issues and ability to get things done. in usa we get things done pronto. I'm especially frustrated that I cant even legally get a car in Europe. (illegal to put a rack on a rental car) and illegal to transport a surf ski on a car in Italy. ITS JUST BASICALLY ILLEGAL FOR ME TO CARRY A SURF SKI ON A CAR IN EUROPE. THAT IS JUST PLAIN SILLY. IM CONSIDERING BRINGING OVER MY FEATHERCRAFT JETSTREAM WHICH IS THE FASTEST INFLATABLE SURF SKI EVER MADE. DISCONTINUED. I HAVE ONE IN MINT CONDITION . MIGHT BE THE ONLY ONE LIKE IT IN EXISTANCE. BUT ITS A BIT HEAVY AT ABOUT 4OSOME POUNDS. AND I WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR ANOTHER LUGGAGE BAG TO EUROPE. IM ALREADY BRINGING A BICYCLE. SO THE KAYAK IS ANOTHER 550 DOLLARS CHARGE ROUNDTRIP. BETTER TO BUY ONE OVER THIER. THE EPICS SEEM EXPENSIVE. I DONT NEED THE FANCY LAYUP. SEEMS TO ME A FIBERGLASS BOAT WILL WORK JUST FINE. ARE SURF SKI PEOPLE JUST GETTING TOO ANAL WITH THE CARBON FANCY LAYUPS. DO THEY SHAVE THE HAIR OFF THIER HEAD BEFORE A RACE FOR AERODYNAMICS. I WANT WANT TO TOOL AROUND ON A FORM FITTING BOAT. IF U GO TO HAYDEN SURF SKI SITE U SEE A PHOTO POSTED OF A PRETTY GAL IN A BOAT THAT IS FITTING HER LIKE A GLOVE. AM I BEING ANAL? WHEN I BUY A BIKE I WANT IT TO FIT TOO!.. I LIKE TO HAVE LEGS THAT ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY EXTENDED FLAT. I LIKE THAT SO I CAN PADDLE MY INUIT BETSY BAY PADDLE ...........LOW TO MY ABS. FLAT LEGS GIVE ME A LOW PADDLE POSITION. IVE ALWAYS LIKED GREENLAND PADDLES .......PUSHES SAME AMOUNT OF WATER . BUT U DONT NEED TO FEATHER PADDLE. U JUST GO

2 days 22 hours ago #28149 by yogavnture
I HAVE BEEN STICKIG MY HEAD OUT . IN LATE JUNE OR EARLY JULY ARE THIER ANY EVENTS IN CROATIA OR ITALY............FOR SURF SKIS. MAYBE THEIIR ARE TOO MANY OPTIONS OUT THIER.THIS IS THE CAUSE OF MY FRUSTRATION? I SEE THE ALLWAVE.IT BOATS. THEY SEEM REASONABLE. AND FOR SOME REASON I THINK THE EPICS ARE OVER PRICED> DONT KNOW. I NEED TO PADDLE SOME U ARE RIGHT. MAYBE DO A FEW ROAD TRIPS IN USA. THIS SUMMER TO CHECK SOME OUT. BUT THIER ARE ONLY SO MANY BOATS AVAIL . IN EUROPE TO BUY. EPIC. FENN . ALLWAVE IT. AND VARIG OR WHATEVER THAT NAME IS

23 hours 48 minutes ago #28174 by yogavnture
I am renting a fiat 500L can I make it ten kilometers to Slovenian border on top with that car and a v8.............I would consider a v8..................your european laws that hurt commerce sales would last a week in usa. but you Europeans don't even try to get the law changed? I'm at the end of my rope on this issue. their is no answer. u cant transport a kayak on a car in europe. totally silly

22 hours 43 minutes ago - 21 hours 55 minutes ago #28175 by Uffilation
"their is no answer. u cant transport a kayak on a car in europe. totally silly"

Alternative facts huh?

Listen Captain Caps,

it has been explained in detail and several times to you, that it is possible to transport a kayak on top of a car in Europe. There are just different rules regarding the warning sign on the rear etc. and overhanging length when to put it on. Yep, sucks and it is unbelievable, that this is not harmonized in Europe, but it is still managable ...

What your problem seems to be, is the special rule in Italy: that a kayak must not be longer than 1/3 of the car length (at the rear) and you'd need a special warning sign; even the possible reason for the rule was mentioned.
It was explained to you, what minimum car length would do for transporting a V8, V10, etc. in Italy and the simple equation to check it.

So for Italy, "You're gonna need a bigger car" if have a longer kayak or just have the BALLS and drive those 10km. You made all that fuzz in your numerous previous threads because of a 10km drive? Man you folks should not travel abroad, just go to the Venetian in Vegas, if you wonna see Venice lol.

Else, if you have problems with Europe and European diversity, this would be your american type ;) answer to your problem: "If you don't like it here, then don't come here" :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

Latest Comments

Latest Forum Topics

Epic GT boats.

2 hours 6 minutes ago

How fragile is carbon vs fiberglass?

2 hours 20 minutes ago
Protected by R Antispam