Repair advice: Rudder tube fix

• barch
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #29347 by barch
Repair advice: Rudder tube fix was created by barch
Hi all,

I'd appreciate some advice on a rudder tube fix I need to do. I've been out of the water for a long time now, got pretty sick of leaky boat which always seemed to have some issue (long saga of poor build quality). But I've decided to spend some vacation time fixing it up hopefully with some solid repairs.

I've removed the steel rudder tube as it was loose and I want to do a solid fix. Seems like previous repairs of topical epoxy weren't strong enough. I've seen it suggested that one should cut an access port to allow for internal securing of rudder tube with epoxy. Any experience on how big a port I should cut? And location in relation to rudder well? (not wanting to weaken the area around the rudder more). Anyone know of some good videos or picture showing this repair done well?

I also need to fix one scupper tube which is leaking but hoping this is a smaller repair as these haven't given much trouble the last few years since I fist fixed these (the ski was not even water proof around the scuppers when I got it new...water just poured in...old story).

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29352 by Ranga
I never cut the ski to reattach the rudder tube. Just make sure the surfaces are well sanded on the ski and the tube has also been well sanded. Seal the hole on the hull with tape and then pour some epoxy from the top into the hole on the hull and then insert the tube from the top. There is usually a block of some sort on the inside of the hull, this is enough to get a good bond. On the top side of the tube I usually wrap some strands of glass around the tube with resin. Once all is dry remove the tape and drill out the excess resin in the tube. Use good quality epoxy like West System 105.

• barch
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #29358 by barch
Replied by barch on topic Repair advice: Rudder tube fix
Ranga - thanks for the advice; especially on selection of epoxy. I couldn't help myself and had to open the ski up to take a look; I've seen too many issues with the boat to not want to take a peak inside. I'm glad I did, photos attached. Photos show foam block that is placed fore & aft of the rudder area as part of structure strength I guess.

My plan is:
1) drill out the old entry point in hull which is cracked.
2) some layers of glass on inside on deck and hull and a structure of sorts to secure the rudder tube and distribute the load and re-insert the original foam posts with some surfboard suncure foam.
3) close my eyes of expandable foam from earlier repair (not mine) as it's out of my reach.
then seal it all up again

Cheers.
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics