help on whats best activity tracker to use for speed and distance /Heart Rate

• sv607
  • Fenn SwordFish S,Stellar SR,Fenn XT
More
6 years 8 months ago #29357 by sv607
just got the garmin fenix 5S and being new to this would like some advice on using activity tracking on it. want to monitor speed and distance. and if possible heart rate i used to use mapmyfitness on my samsung S7 when paddling but now using the Fenix. any advice would be great..

thanks in advance.

Paddle Smart. Come Home Alive :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29359 by Davidw
Search the Connect IQ Store for the "Dozen paddle and kayak" data field. It gives 12 fields including speed, distance per stroke, heart rate, cadence, distance, plus averages.
My eyesight isn't as good as it was so I battle to read the small figures without glasses, but if you can see it, it does the job.
You have to add it as a data field to the paddling application.
Hope this helps!

Edit: I did this a while ago so can't remember whether there is a default paddling app or whether I created a custom one.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Davidw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sv607

More
6 years 7 months ago #29360 by Davidw
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sv607

More
6 years 7 months ago #29366 by SurfskiEstonia
I usually use a 4 screen split. Depending on if its a flat water training or playing in waves, the data displayed:

Flat water:

SPEED AVERAGE SPEED
DISTANCE HEART RATE

Waves:

SPEED MAX SPEED
DISTANCE HEART RATE

I oftentimes don't use the heart rate strap and display Time of Day instead of the heart rate.

Anything above 4 area split gets tiring on the eyes :)

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29426 by PeteCress
I have been using Garmin's Forerunner 310XTs for a bunch of years.

Dunno how Fenix compares, but the 301XT lags too much in it's speed updates (like 3-7 seconds) to be useful for working on technique.

Because of that I supplement the Garmin device with a Velocitek SpeedPuck: beeeeeg screen readout, speed updates as often as 2x per second - so I can easily see speed changes as I concentrate on various aspects of form.

I still use the 310 for my interval times/average speeds and heartrate percent max, but if the Fenix's speed updates are found wanting, I would recommend looking into a SpeedPuck (or one of Velocitek's other offerings).
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by PeteCress.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29427 by sandysan
El cheepo android phone in a waterproof bag (or a ziplock) paired to a wahoo TICKR Run using their software.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29460 by LaPerouseBay

PeteCress wrote: /
Dunno how Fenix compares, but the 301XT lags too much in it's speed updates (like 3-7 seconds) to be useful for working on technique.
/

The 310XT can be set to sample every second.

Attached is a picture of synch-ing up the 310XT with my Gopro session video file, using a neat program called RaceRender. I've been doing it for years with Dashware (free program), but RaceRender is far easier to use ($40). The video and GPS are within .003 seconds.

In typical corporate fashion, Gopro needed to catch up to Garmin's Virb overlay, so they put GPS in the #5, and bought Dashware. Then they stopped supporting Dashware. (I use the #4 session, $150).

Funny thing is, the gopro overlay (Dashware) is dated. Rumor is that all those software guys they bought are scrambling to fix Gopro's ill fated drone. Gopro should cut bait. The competition is light years ahead on helicopters.

downwind dilettante
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by LaPerouseBay.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29473 by Sinkme
Small hyjack here. I'm thinking of paying the $$ for a high update rate speed measurement device like the Speedpuck or Makai. I've been frustrated with the inability to see speed changes with specific technique changes with my Garmin. Do these work for that or am I expecting too much?
The following user(s) said Thank You: davgdavg

More
6 years 7 months ago #29496 by Jonno_NZ
Anyone else use an android and what software do you use?

Latest Forum Topics