Paddle repair

More
10 months 1 week ago #40523 by mickeyA
Paddle repair was created by mickeyA
I need to permanently connect two equally sized paddle shafts together. The prior owner of this Lettman wing used an outer aluminum tube and glued only about 3” of each shaft piece into the 6” tube. The aluminum started splitting on one end so they added a hose clamp over the split. Not ideal at all. Now the other end of aluminum tube is splitting, which caused the shaft to come out.
Is there a better way to connect, like a carbon fiber outer sleeve that can be epoxied? Maybe a longer inner carbon tube? Either one would have to barely fit over or inside and I’m not sure if there is a standard ID and/or OD measurement for these paddles. To further complicate things, the grip area seems to have a slight oval shape, so at some point the shaft is no longer round from the middle outward. New shaft is not possible because blade and shaft appear to be melded together with smooth, thick laminate covering the merge. Any suggestions? Thank you.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #40527 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Paddle repair
Best thing you can do is get a joiner from Lettmann, I am sure they do one. It will have a clamp for one end and a ferrule sleeve for the other that gets glued inside the tube on one side and the clamp on the opposite side glued on the outside.

Then you will have an adjustable take apart paddle.

More
10 months 1 week ago #40529 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Paddle repair
Thank you for that idea. I never hear about Lettman paddles anymore, so wasn’t even sure they were still around. I’ll contact them.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
10 months 1 week ago #40530 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Paddle repair
Lettman use aluminium joiners on their carbon paddles, that could be a failed OEM joiner you have there.

More
10 months 1 week ago #40532 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Paddle repair
After looking at Lettman’s website, yes, I see they have my aluminum joiner and the adjustable clamping for 2 piece Ranga suggested. I was surprised to see the aluminum joiner as I assumed mine was a DIY repair. My joiner looks to be from Lettman as it has the same sticker and plugs from website. It just split at some point and someone added a hose clamp (which works fine but is dangerous). Now it has split on the other side, hence my problem. Seems like a lot of torque on only 3 inches per side, so not surprised it split. Looks like their paddles are $599 euros (more than Brasca, Epic, jantex, etc), so I am a bit surprised they would offer a short aluminum connector on such a nice paddle. If I do not buy the fairly expensive 2-piece clamp connector, I may look for carbon tube (ferrule) that fits perfectly inside my shafts, hot glue it in for fixed paddle. It’s a backup paddle, so not critical for it to be perfect, just functional. Thanks.

Latest Forum Topics