Refurbish dull paddle

More
10 months 2 days ago #40538 by mickeyA
Can I restore this? A friend left it outdoors in sun and rain, facing up, for a week and it left water marks and dulled the blades considerably. Can I get the shine back? Thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 days ago #40539 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Refurbish dull paddle
Here is the picture, sorry.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon
Attachments:

More
10 months 1 day ago #40541 by mickeyA
So far, I’ve gotten “spray WD40 on it” and “use a heat gun on it”. I’m not sold on trying either, but that’s all I’ve got. Any experience with these 2 methods? Surely someone in this great forum knows a trick or two to restore shine to cloudy laminate…

More
10 months 1 day ago #40542 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic Refurbish dull paddle
I've never done this, so I'm going by internet searches.

The cloudiness is probably from oxidation, which happens when the gelcoat is exposed to UV and air.

The main method for tackling it seem to be to cut back with fine abrasive, then polish, using a wax or car body polish.

More
10 months 17 hours ago #40544 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Refurbish dull paddle
I would try polishing compound on a buffing pad. A small circular pad on a drill might fit well in the concavity.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
10 months 2 hours ago #40545 by mickeyA
Very good, thank you for the help. I will try those suggestions. Seems more logical than WD40 or heat gun.

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #40548 by Petfus
Replied by Petfus on topic Refurbish dull paddle
I just this to my paddle to make it look like new
Wet Sand the surface with 180 grit 240 grit (even 400) until you are down to the carbon. Clean with acetone and spray paint with gloss/ matt clear finish from your local hardwsre store. Takes 10-15 minutes.
You can even go to a car pant store and get a two component clear top coat spray paint can for better quality but no real need
It will look like new.

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #40549 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic Refurbish dull paddle
Personally I would not sand back to carbon, and if damage exposed the carbon, I would use gelcoat (or epoxy for small bits) to cover.

Moisture penetration into the carbon is a real risk, and in cold areas will quickly destroy your paddle.

More
9 months 1 week ago #40573 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Refurbish dull paddle
You will be just fine to water paper the surface, even if you hit the carbon. They are epoxy paddle so gelcoat will not stick. Sand to very fine finish and polish will give a decent finish.

There is no coating on most clear carbon paddles, hence the degradation of the surface due to UV. The one person said to sand and paint, yes that is a good option however a standard rattle can job will look good for a short time unless you use polyurethane based paint, it does come in aerosol can, wood working finish spray, or better a 2K clear paint.

More
9 months 1 week ago #40575 by MMaister
Replied by MMaister on topic Refurbish dull paddle
Hi,

before you go all inn with sandpaper or worse, have you tried to clean it up with some strong limescale remover? Form the picture it looks like it is only some residue from dried up water inside.

More
9 months 1 week ago #40577 by mickeyA
Thanks for the ideas. I will try limescale remover first.

Latest Forum Topics