double surf ski

More
12 years 3 months ago #9522 by mickeyA
double surf ski was created by mickeyA
Can a double ski be paddled solo? I am thinking about getting a double as a way to introduce my 10yr old daughter to the sport. If she is of very little help at first, as i expect, will I be able to move the ski a decent rate of speed, or will it be so much more work than a single to where it is no fun? If I cannot find anyone to paddle with me on the double, is it possible to ride solo on a double? thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9524 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: double surf ski
I own a Fenn XT Double (polyester).
Paddled it solo once 'cause my buddy didn't show up. It was no fun at all... BUT, it's a great toy to bring my kids (8yo and 6yo) with me on the water. Lots of fun for them.
P.S. They ALWAYS wear a PFD, even if paddling close to the shore an on flat water.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Hiro.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9548 by cdo
Replied by cdo on topic Re: double surf ski
Hi,

I have an Stellar SE2 and it is surprisingly good one up. They are a low volume boat but by myself (76kg) I can sit on 11km no issue. Obviously it sits a little nose down one up, but really not an issue unless in big waves. This boat is just as much fun one up in the right conditions.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by cdo. Reason: typo

More
11 years 4 months ago #14720 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: double surf ski
I paddled a Fenn XT double with my 11 y/o daughter this morning in a 4.5km time trial to show her how fun racing was. She had to take a breather every now and then and I actually asked her to rest with about 500m to go so she could put a burst in over the last 100m to beat a single ski washriding us.

I had a ball, while not flying we were up there and I found it great training as I had to really think about my stoke to move such a big ski.

We did try the Carbonology Viva II double beforehand and while we didnt fall out my daughter didnt feel confident in it so we went for the XT instead.

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

Latest Forum Topics