× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Paddle grips/padding

More
10 years 3 days ago #20099 by fryerrobin
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi All,

I have some moderate hand issues, I have injured my hands a couple of times by overstressing finger tendons in paddling. Mostly the hand doctors thought this was a compression injury Ii.e. continually squeezing the paddle shaft into the first joint of the fingers).

I've been experimenting with ways of either padding my fingers or paddle. I was wondering what other people on here use?

I came across a few things
1. Padding the fingers
2. Using an inner tube and wrapping it round the shaft
3. Something like this
and then I could shrink wrap it onto the shaft.
4. Self adhesive handle bar tape (which I've seen a few use).

It needs to be soft enough to take the stress off my fingers but not so wide that it causes more.

I saw a few russian paddlers on this video using something...

and@53 seconds here

Hope you can help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 days ago #20100 by partymarty
Replied by partymarty on topic Paddle grips/padding
I use a cricket bat handle grip. They're cheap and last a year or so before needing replacing.

I find that 2 layers suits me best (one grip cut in 2 for each hand.)

If you're in the USA I don't know if you'd be able to use this method (and if you're in SA just call up the test team, they've got a lot of bats that don't get too much use)

More
10 years 3 days ago - 10 years 3 days ago #20101 by GlenRusky
Replied by GlenRusky on topic Paddle grips/padding
A previous thread fryerrobin that you may find useful:
www.surfski.info/forum/17-equipment/1609...ddle-grip.html#16167

Current Ski: Nelo 550 ML (4 WWR)
Previous Skis: Fenn Spark - carbon, Vajda Hawx elite, Fenn Swordfish - carbon, Fenn Elite - carbon
Last edit: 10 years 3 days ago by GlenRusky.

More
10 years 2 days ago #20104 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Paddle grips/padding
If you want some grip without geting the shat bigger, just use some surfboard wax where you place your hand on the shaft.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nilson

More
10 years 1 day ago - 10 years 1 day ago #20112 by seamonkey
Replied by seamonkey on topic Paddle grips/padding
Hi, I'm certainly not an expert.

I use Yak grips, I found the shaft on my Epic pretty slippery. yak grips are comfortable for me.

Yak grips do move around a little, I like the non Velcro model the best. The Velcro ones seemed to move enough to be annoying, causing me to readjust them frequently.

Good luck!

PS I also wear synthetic leather palmed (Amara?) neoprene gloves.

Rainer Lang

Seeking balance
Last edit: 10 years 1 day ago by seamonkey. Reason: more info

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #20124 by ilcentaurorosso
B)
I will try non velcro model!
But Epic Kayaks recommends that you do not remove your collar. Mounting of non velcro model is easy without removing lenght lock collar?
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by ilcentaurorosso.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20128 by seamonkey
Replied by seamonkey on topic Paddle grips/padding
Yes, it's pretty easy.

I have an Epic Mid Wing with a lever lock. I found it easy to work the grip over the mechanism.

Wetting the grips and paddle shaft will help a lot. If you find it really difficult, or if your having dexterity issues, try a little bit of liquid dish soap. Be sure to wash it away.

Rainer Lang

Seeking balance
The following user(s) said Thank You: ilcentaurorosso

More
9 years 11 months ago #20134 by LaPerouser
Replied by LaPerouser on topic Paddle grips/padding
I'm sure I've seen it mentioned before on this site, but not in this thread or the one GlenRuskie has provided a link to above…

If you want a cheap and simple solution that doesn't add too much diameter to the shaft ( better for people with smaller hands or who prefer a thinner shaft):

You can use one of the bandage tapes with adhesive on the back (Leukoplast in Oz).
Easy to cut to size, doesn't need taping down at the ends to prevent unravelling, and the adhesive stays behind on the shaft when the tape comes off and still gives good grip. Lasts me about 3 months before replacing.

I use a strip only about 2cmx10cm along the shaft (rather than a complete wrap of the shaft) which allows me to just hook my hand over loosely while still able to pull hard.

Hope this helps.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20135 by ilcentaurorosso

seamonkey wrote: Yes, it's pretty easy.

I have an Epic Mid Wing with a lever lock. I found it easy to work the grip over the mechanism.

Wetting the grips and paddle shaft will help a lot. If you find it really difficult, or if your having dexterity issues, try a little bit of liquid dish soap. Be sure to wash it away.

Hmmm... I red also this comment (Amazon.com, 2 stars):

Trying to use the Yak grips on a wing paddle [Epic midwing] was a fiasco. They slip and slide, because the paddle shaft stays wet, I guess. The increased leverage for torqueing while paddling leads to a shift in the angle of the paddle faces unexpectedly. I would not recommend their use for this type of paddle.
(www.amazon.com/Yakpads-Yak-Grips/product...tar&showViewpoints=0)
The following user(s) said Thank You: fryerrobin

More
9 years 11 months ago #20136 by fryerrobin
Replied by fryerrobin on topic Paddle grips/padding
Thanks for your replies everyone.

It sounds like yak grips are not the way to go. Remember my main issue is pain in the fingers, I think this is mostly caused by heavy catch and a hard shaft hence why I wanted to soften the shaft, grip is not the problem.

I have bought some cycling handle bar gel tape and going to see if that feels any better than the cycle inner tube. I'm also going to give a smaller blade a try to see if it alleviates the stress on the fingers.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20139 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic Paddle grips/padding
Rather than trying a smaller blade have you tried just shortening the shaft ( presuming adjustable) and paddling higher cadence?
BTW, I too have the Epic Mid and I use tennis racquet grip tape. I can even use the overlaps to stop fingers sliding along the shaft.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
9 years 11 months ago #20145 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic Paddle grips/padding

Marieski wrote: BTW, I too have the Epic Mid and I use tennis racquet grip tape. I can even use the overlaps to stop fingers sliding along the shaft.

My wife also uses this type of tape and just loves it; (I just use my callouses). She applied it to her Orca Flex prior to the last Hawkesbury Classic (and won her Division - clever girl) and it is still going strong despite being used 3-5 times per week.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
9 years 11 months ago #20173 by ergometer
Replied by ergometer on topic Paddle grips/padding
Great video about paddle grips. Its really helpful for me. Thanks a lot.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20253 by MelMM
Replied by MelMM on topic Paddle grips/padding
If you use yak grips, you need to tape around each end of the grip with electrical tape. This completely eliminates any slippage.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20366 by ilcentaurorosso
yes, but if you change hand position, grip is not so confortable (on electricl tape area...).

More
9 years 11 months ago #20368 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Paddle grips/padding
After trying many tape and grip options I have landed at just sanding the shaft with 1200 grit wet sandpaper. either along the shaft for more grip or round the shaft for less grip. this solution provides better grip when wet. You´ll find that a better grip reduce the need for fingergrip around the shaft
good luck with your experimentation!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ilcentaurorosso

More
9 years 11 months ago #20376 by Chookman
Replied by Chookman on topic Paddle grips/padding
I've found tennis grip tape seems to work pretty well. I've mostly paddled with a raised plastic locator on my control side, but have been experimenting with a new Bracsa IV with and without the locator. I think I still prefer to have the locator as it seems to allow a looser grip.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20388 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Paddle grips/padding
I use a light strapping tape on all my paddles. Cheap, and easy to swap off every few months when it wears.

I've been told by a few guys that ice hockey stick tape is excellent. Water proof too. Haven't tried it though.

Latest Forum Topics