Paddle grip

More
11 years 1 week ago #16093 by coldwater
Paddle grip was created by coldwater
I see lots of guys with grips similar to those used on tennis racquets or hockey sticks on their paddles.
Any advice on which ones work best & last longest...?
Thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16105 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Re: Paddle grip
Personally I use nothing, you should generally not be gripping the shaft that hard to notice the grip. I however use Oval shaft which is very easy to control and hold without gripping hard.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16107 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: Paddle grip
What works best for me is black electrical tape for the control hand, wrapped with about 1mm of space between the wraps (to siphon away water), then lightly sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper. I also use the same sandpaper for the non-control grip to take away the slippery, hydrophobic finish. The tape lasts a couple of years. I find I have to resand with the above grit about every few months which is a 3 minute job.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16110 by arminius
Replied by arminius on topic Re: Paddle grip
I used to go to great trouble with every conceivable grip type to get the best grip but ultimately the smooth shaft works best as it allows the paddle to twist slightly to the point where it has the maximum torque at the beginning of the stroke. This seems to work even better on the Epic paddles with the slightly ovalised grip

Another perfect day in paradise. A bit of sun, a bit of rain and it's not even lunch time.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16117 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: Paddle grip
Calluses are the best grip :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fearless, Pleuston

More
11 years 4 days ago #16158 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Paddle grip
I use strapping tape. Replace is every few months. It's hard on the hands if you've never used it, but I love it, can't go back to a normal shaft.
Attachments:

More
11 years 4 days ago #16163 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic Re: Paddle grip

Stew wrote: I use strapping tape.

Stew - What exactly is "strapping tape"? Where do you get it?

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
11 years 4 days ago #16167 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Paddle grip

owenw wrote:

Stew wrote: I use strapping tape.

Stew - What exactly is "strapping tape"? Where do you get it?

I buy it from a local medical supply joint.
Attachments:

More
11 years 4 days ago #16171 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: Paddle grip

Stew wrote: I use strapping tape. Replace is every few months. It's hard on the hands if you've never used it, but I love it, can't go back to a normal shaft.

I'm going have to give that a go Stew, I use strapping tape to mark the inner and outer mark for each hand. It's worked ok but for longer paddles it rubs on the side of my pinkie finger and wears the skin off. I'll give it a crack all the along along the grip.

Cheers

Epic V10 Sport Performance

More
11 years 4 days ago #16174 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Paddle grip
Different strokes for different folks (haha) but I like squash/tennis racquet grip - on the right hand only. I have to replace it every couple of months. I find that if I don't use it, very occasionally my hand slips and sometimes I ended up in the drink because of it.

Some guys use surfboard wax instead.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 4 days ago #16176 by coldwater
Replied by coldwater on topic Re: Paddle grip
What kind of tennis grip do you go for Rob?
There seem to be loads to chose from...

Strapping tape sounds like a good idea too...

More
11 years 4 days ago - 11 years 4 days ago #16177 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Paddle grip

coldwater wrote: What kind of tennis grip do you go for Rob?
There seem to be loads to chose from...

Strapping tape sounds like a good idea too...

Something like this:

Head racquet grip

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 11 years 4 days ago by [email protected].

More
11 years 3 days ago #16203 by Joky
Replied by Joky on topic Re: Paddle grip
I used to sand my shaft, like at every session and my hands at the same time in case their were greasy. But it requires to have sand which is somehow easier on rivers.

I'm only in surf ski for a month and I found my Epic shaft very slippy. I like to have my hands relax on the shaft. I used sandpaper, but then I paddled in the wind and I wasn't relax anymore because these boats are tippy (!!) and I ended up with blister on my left hand fingers because the shaft was not slippy enough! :blush:
I used a rug to spread a little bit of epoxy over it and it seems just perfect now :)

More
11 years 3 days ago - 11 years 3 days ago #16206 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Paddle grip
I find the shafts on the Epic paddles real slippery which means I have to grip too tight, so I use two cut strips of 3m tub and shower tread just on the face that is within my thumb and forefinger, this enables me to use a much looser grip.

www.amazon.com/Safety-Walk-7640-Shower-1...1-Inch/dp/B000KKRJAY

My new Jantex Gamma has a great non slip texture to the shaft which doesn't slip, however because the shaft is a smaller diameter than my Epic paddles I'm going to build it up a little and ovalise the shaft, much like the Epic shaft.
Last edit: 11 years 3 days ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
11 years 18 hours ago #16269 by bunchie37
Replied by bunchie37 on topic Re: Paddle grip
First post and all that.....anyway, 'ello.

I use road bike bar tape. Grippy enough, waterproof and also looks well pro. Ha.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16287 by PerthPaddler
Replied by PerthPaddler on topic Re: Paddle grip
Hi all, try using bicycle inner tube. Cut a piece 40cm long and 3cm wide. Bind on your grip hand, secure with insulation tape and wind on with a secure bind. It's easy, free (if it was a punctured tube) and works brilliantly. Racket grips damaged by hands and this has awesome grip, and lasts well over a year. Sounds crazy? Give it a go!

More
10 years 11 months ago #16288 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Paddle grip

bunchie37 wrote: First post and all that.....anyway, 'ello.

I use road bike bar tape. Grippy enough, waterproof and also looks well pro. Ha.

Welcome!

I also use bike bar grip, been going strong for 3 years now only having to replace the electrical tape every so often that holds the ends on.

I had a chip in my paddle repaired a little while ago and had to use my old paddle for a week, I forgot about the tape until I started getting some carpel tunnel type symptoms in my right wrist. As soon as I got my usual paddle back it went away. I find the increased grip and bigger shaft circumference are easier on my wrist and forearm, maybe due to my big hands and more relaxed grip?

While I'm on this subject I also found that reducing the feather angle on the paddle reduced wrist issues I was having years ago.

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bunchie37

More
10 years 11 months ago #16334 by wesley
Replied by wesley on topic Re: Paddle grip
Chris and I found another type of paddle tape that is the best we have ever used, simple, easy, less expensive, and it works! Like many others we have tried everything. We liked it so much, we are now the major distributor as of last week. See our site SurfskiRacing.com for more info. We will be at the ROTC this weekend if you want to check it out. Wesley

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16346 by stretchstruwig
Replied by stretchstruwig on topic Re: Paddle grip
Hi Guys - being paddling for twenty odd years now and tried all the tape in the world - even went to oval shaft, but prefer the round shaft - the best i find for myself is good old candle wax - wipe four strips on the right side, right handed, and rub in with a closed hand - try with one or two strips first as it gives quite a grip

Latest Forum Topics