Protective tape

More
11 years 7 months ago #12845 by coldwater
Protective tape was created by coldwater
I've used 'helicopter tape' to protect the catch area of the ski from bumps from the paddle.
Problem is the clear tape discolours to a yellowish colour...

I've seen guys use a kind of clear tape with what looks like fibreglass reinforcement.

Any ideas where to get this tape or something similar?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12847 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Protective tape
I use a clear textured tape available from our Hardware chain Mitre10. Its about 2O-25mm wide, comes in about 4m roll, is strong and thick and is made for putting on the floor of your shower so sticks real well in wet areas. I use if for paddle grip, along side my ski where the paddle strikes and even a bit along the keel line of my kayaks for grip when carrying kayaks and for protection against bumping rocks, other kayaks etc.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12852 by hamishglen
Replied by hamishglen on topic Re: Protective tape
The tape sounds good. Any idea of the name/cost?

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #12853 by FalllGuy
Replied by FalllGuy on topic Re: Protective tape
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf you do a search on Ebay in your area using the term "Clear Vinyl Sheet" you will probably find what you are looking for...

It is basically the thin vinyl that companies use to make letter signs and decals. It is very thin, easy to cut into custom shapes and works very well.

Also, if you need to epoxy something to your boat, you can apply a piece of this vinyl first, and then glue your item to the surface of the vinyl as opposed to the boat itself. This allows easy removal of the item later on if need be.

For example: I formed a scupper bullet for my V10 Sport out of EVA foam, encapsulated it in three coats of epoxy and then attached it to my boat by epoxying it to a small piece of the clear vinyl sheet that I installed on the boat first.

This is such a search done with the U.S. site...

Just a note, Robin - the "imbed link" feature also caused the post to come up blank. I did an "edit post" and put the link in manually.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by FalllGuy.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #12854 by Josh G
Replied by Josh G on topic Re: Protective tape
Your other option is scuff proof, this is like super thick clear laminate that is used on motocross bikes etc to protect paints and graphics. You can buy this from most motor bike shops, comes in rolls 300 x 1000 mm bout $25 a roll if I recall, really good stuff. Just take your time putting it on to avoid getting bubbles under the stuff or it looks terrible. I used it on the rear deck of my multisport boat to avoid the paddle doing damage on entry and exit.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Josh G.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12858 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Re: Protective tape
Here is another solution:

www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-1001797...d=10051#.UDtz8KDpct8

Also sold by ocean paddle sports in Costa Mesa

www.oceanpaddlesports.com/site/index.php...duct-image-full/396/

Same product: as mentioned on the ocean site you can remove the lettering with acetone.

Very thick and very protective.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #12860 by FalllGuy
Replied by FalllGuy on topic Re: Protective tape
Because I have the material I mentioned on my ski's now, I have attached two pics of the thinner vinyl sheet I have recommended. It has been used on the boat in the picture for over 2000km's of paddling and has worn very well. I had to adjust the picture in Photoshop so that it would show up in the pictures. It is very stealth when applied properly.

From my experience, I personally don't feel as if "thick" is a necessary property, if you simply want to guard against paddle strikes and scuffs.

The product Josh G brought up is a truly great product. I am very familiar with it being that I have a long running motorcycling background with time spent in the industry. As a matter of fact, it was my old go to product that I used when rigging a few South African Kayaks, before I went to the thinner product I currently use. The glue on it can get gummy in the heat and it can be a little more difficult to work with on a larger area. But it is a great product and durable as hell.

I do find that for me personally, the thin sheet vinyl does the job, is cheaper, easier to work with and replace, and less noticeable on the boat.

Also, if you have a lot of scuffs on the gunwales, at the Auto Parts store they have a product from different manufacturers called "clear-coat polish" that is an ultra-fine polishing compound that with a little elbow grease does a great job of polishing out the finner paddle scuffs on the Gelcoat surface.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by FalllGuy.

Latest Forum Topics