Van Dusen over-stern rudder on V10L

More
13 years 7 months ago #5184 by red_pepper
I got around to installing my Van Dusen over-stern kick-up rudder this weekend on to my Epic V10L. This is really a slick unit - simple, clean, and elegant. Installation basically requires the cutting of a slot in the stern of the boat, and epoxying the blade on the hinge in place. A long screw/hinge pin can be removed if the over-stern rudder isn't needed, leaving only a small part of the hinge sticking out of stern. For connection to my rudder cables, I removed the rudder assembly cap and tied directly to the cables. I may improve the appearance later by installing some tubing in the hull to keep the cables hidden (and allow me to replace the cap). In trials on my pond I noticed the over-stern rudder didn't track quite as well as the under-stern, but it responded well and seemed to turn every bit as tightly as before. This is a good option for those of us using waterways full of obstacles.

The first picture is from Van Dusen of the rudder assembly; the following pictures will be of the installed rudder assembly on my boat.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5185 by red_pepper
Installed on my ski.
Attachments:

More
13 years 7 months ago #5186 by red_pepper
One more photo.
Attachments:

More
13 years 7 months ago #5189 by ccchappell
Looks great! Nice job on the installation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5190 by red_pepper
Thanks! I think over the next few days I'll probably change to some better line (if I can find some stainless braided cable or Spectra) and retrofit the understern rudder steering bracket to allow convenient switching between rudders(There's a race coming up on Lake Michigan where I may want the understern rudder).

I took it out on a couple of linked lakes yesterday while we had some very stout winds (15 - 25 mph, gusting to 35 mph). With the cables tightened up a bit this rudder worked quite well, especially through the weedy channels, and seemed to work fine running down wind or upwind in the 1 ft chop, but I missed the authority of the understern rudders when turning around or running cross-wind. It was kind of fun hearing the "clunk" of the rudder as a patch of weeds would cause it to rise up and release.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6468 by Beanboy
How's the kick-up rudder working out for you over the past six months? Been thinking about going a similar route for weed/shallow water reasons when I do flatwater races.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6473 by red_pepper
Actually, I haven't had the boat out since November - all of our rivers have been frozen over for the last three months or so. I did have the V10L out for a few paddles at the end of November in Florida and North Carolina, but I had the understern rudder installed for deeper water use. I also had the understern weedless rudder on the boat for my last race of the season at the end of September (also deeper water). I'll start using it again in a couple of months as things warm up and weeds start to grow again.

I also retrofitted my wife's Think Fit with one of these rudders, and it looks great - like a factory installation. It was very easy with the Fit; the factory provided the extra Spectra line and pre-installed cable routing tubing! I took the Fit out for an 8-mile New Year's Day paddle with our group on a river about an hour and a half North that wasn't frozen. The rudder worked quite well on the Fit, and probably saved the boat from damage going over an underwater log or two.

I still prefer the responsiveness of the understern rudder when I don't have to worry about hitting something, but I'll probably race much of the season with the Van Dusen rudder due to the underwater hazards in many of our local rivers.

Latest Forum Topics