"OK-1": the best of both worlds?

More
9 years 10 months ago #21107 by red_pepper
I enjoy paddling both surf skis and outrigger canoes, but possessing more experience and skill with a kayak paddle than a canoe paddle I like to have dual-paddle capability with my outriggers. Thus, I had someone create some custom iakos for our OC-1 that are 7" longer than stock, allowing me to paddle the boat (a Scorpius XS) with my wing paddle while avoiding whacking the ama. The result: awesome! :) With exceptional stability and a high seating position, it's easy to lay down some serious power, while enjoying low resistance. In tests this week I found I average 1 mph faster with my wing paddle than with my outrigger canoe paddle, and I can sprint it up to 2 mph faster with the wing paddle than with the outrigger paddle. I think I can sprint it faster than my V12, although I cruise a little faster in the V12. It appears the resistance level of the outrigger is roughly similar to a decent intermediate surf ski. I know it's "non traditional" - and sort of like a surf ski with training wheels - but it's also a heck of a lot of fun!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #21108 by coastbouy
I've seen some other folks with an OC-2 that has the converted iakos, paddle with wing paddles....those guys do some very rough water. Do you or are you able to "fly the Ama" while on some nice downwind waves? I've seen how an OC-1s with their narrow water lines catch waves nicely. Also do you adjust the ama to sit higher or lower depending on conditions? Also, what is the length of your paddle when you are on your OK-1?
Cheers,
joel

More
9 years 10 months ago #21111 by red_pepper
Hey Joel: I'm also one of those guys with a Huki OC-2 and special iakos, but you also have to understand I do most of my paddling in Indiana - not exactly a hot spot for big waves. :) I have, however, raced my OC-2 on Lake Michigan with a friend as a K-2, doing quite well for our skill level. It's great to be able to just keep on paddling full-bore through very rough conditions (wind-driven waves combined with wakes from large boats on both sides and rebounding waves off sea walls). Not having the opportunity to train much in those conditions, racing an outrigger with kayak paddles gives me the stability I need to run my best. So - no "flying the ama" at the moment (hopefully I'll get on some bigger water before long to try my hand at it), but I did get a chance to play in some motorboat wakes. The OC-1 really picks up the wakes nicely and rides them with ease.

I adjust the ama to basically keep the hull level with me in it and to keep drag to a minimum.

My paddle didn't really seem to need much adjustment; I probably use a more vertical stoke in the outrigger than in the surf ski, but the Scorpius XS sits fairly low for an outrigger. My paddle is an Epic mid-wing 215 - 225, and I kept it at 215.

Latest Forum Topics