Intermediate ?

More
6 years 5 months ago #30175 by denlong
Intermediate ? was created by denlong
Ok, reality check this morning. I've been paddling an Epic V8 for about 18 months now, probably about 2000 km. No kayak experience before that, I'd done sup for a few years. I'm very comfortable in the V8, I've even been out in 3' seas a couple of days, no problem going upwind or even turning around. The first few waves I caught threw me out, but trying just to go straight I started to catch some glides. So much fun. I'm more comfortable in the ski than on any sup. I broke the rudder on my V8, and being in southern Baja (Mexico) it's difficult and time consuming to get a replacement. Starting me to think, I need a backup ski. Maybe I should step up to an intermediate ski? V10S, or maybe Huki S1-R, Jude says on his website he ships anywhere, I haven't heard back from him if that includes So Baja. I borrowed an older Think Ion this morning, I must have fallen out 15 times, I never even got my but in the bucket, and a leg in the water on either side of the boat. Completely shook my confidence. I started thinking maybe I should get an Ultra layup V5 (Hahaha). I understand an Ion is not an intermediate ski. Being 1000 miles south of the border makes going anywhere to demo, complicated and expensive. Any thoughts? Thanks, Dennis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #30176 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Intermediate ?
Once upon a time (not so long ago) when I first started ski paddling skis like the V10 sport were considered beginner skis :ohmy:

With the growth of the sport the spectrum ski models stability has increased substantially.

We can probably start using the terms Beginner, Novice, Intermediate and Elite so boats like the V10 sport and Think Evo become the novice skis.

Unfortunately as you have said your enemy is distance so you cant just drop into to your local dealer and demo a multitude of skis to find the right one.

I'll try to give you some older and newer models in this list that may sit just ahead of the V8 is terms of speed but not as tippy as the Think Ion (which is probably considered more an intermediate-elite level ski.)

Novice skis to look out for

Stellar SR
Carbonology Vault (new)
Carbonology Zest (old)
Carbonology Boost
V10 sport (old and new)
Think Evo II
Fenn Swordfish
Fenn XT

I'd say the following skis would be about the same or not a lot different from your V8.

Think Eze
Fenn Bluefin
Carbonology Cruze

Keep us posted!

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
6 years 5 months ago #30177 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Intermediate ?
Nothing wrong with your choice of ski. How about a spare rudder? Cheapest simplest option, especially when it comes to shipping.
My first question I ask someone who is thinking of upgrading, "How fast are you going on what you have now?" Inevitably it is very slow.
The example I use is myself, if you are not going over 14km/hr (8.6mile/hr) in a decent downwind you are not ready to get a faster ski.
What is wrong with having fun?

More
6 years 5 months ago #30179 by jazzman
Replied by jazzman on topic Intermediate ?
Without knowing anything about you, the original Ion is a significant step up from the V8. Not all that popular I believe ( I had one for a while) and has been significantly redesigned recently. Don't underestimate your V8 though , great boat. Ranga's idea of a new rudder is a good one. Is it just the rudder breakage that has you thinking about another boat , or do you want to try something new?

More
6 years 5 months ago #30180 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Intermediate ?
Don't feel bad about being thrown from the Ion. I spent six weeks trying to paddle my Think Uno Max with my feet inside the ski. It's doable but just takes time. The higher up the boat speed you go the longer it takes to get used to it.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 5 months ago #30183 by Scode
Replied by Scode on topic Intermediate ?
Have to agree with Ranga, what is wrong with having fun? I normally paddle an Fenn Elite however my mother in law has a carbon Bluefin that I have been getting addicted to.

I've been taking it out regularly on good downwind days and the thing really goes. Cranking out 3:50 min/ks (my fastest km was a 3:31!) so its not slow but it surfs great and is lots of fun. The only thing I would change is the old Bluefin rudder for a surf rudder.

Learn to catch runs with out the worry of going in for a swim.

More
6 years 5 months ago #30184 by mike k
Replied by mike k on topic Intermediate ?
Hi Dennis, If you are going to get a new rudder for the v8 and are in the position to be able to have two surf skis then why not.
I have just done a similar thing going from my Carbonology Cruze to a Revo 3. I found it a bigger step than I thought I suppose 56cm width to 48cm should have been the clue. However I am making good progress but cannot see myself in anything other than small seas at the moment in the Revo so I am going to keep the Cruze as well for that. I think it is a very good point about having fun but for me there was the challenge of trying to master something a little more difficult to master.
On the point about moving up I do think a better system of judging a boats characteristics would be useful. Even a stability rating from 1-10 maybe based on a industry standard method would be very useful. The current beginner / intermediate / elite is very general and seems to open to interpretation or opinion.

Mike

More
6 years 5 months ago #30185 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Intermediate ?
It is getting harder to judge where a ski fits in these days. When I started paddling a beginners ski was 48cm. Before that you paddled a plastic ski. Newcomers to the sport are spoilt for choice nowadays. When most of us started you either paddled a Fenn XT or an Epic v10sport. Which sort of fit into the lower intermediate range now. There wasn't that many real intermediate skis. My next boat was a red7pro which was more stable than a mako 6...just, as long as there was no side chop. Buying a boat now is plain hard work.

More
6 years 5 months ago #30188 by denlong
Replied by denlong on topic Intermediate ?
Hi guys, first of all thanks for all the great replies. More about me, I'm 67 years, 182cm, 95 kilos. I took the rudderless V8 out this morning to rebuild my confidence and practice remounts. I love my V8. I have fun in it, and don't feel a need to go faster. I ordered a replacement rudder and a backup rudder. But being without a ski for over a month now has made me feel like I not only want a backup rudder, but a backup ski. If I get another ski, might as well take a step toward intermediate. In the winter we get 5 months of consistent downwind conditions, and 7 months of flat variable. So plenty of opportunity to practice in a skinnier boat.

More
6 years 5 months ago #30189 by Steve Hansen
Replied by Steve Hansen on topic Intermediate ?
One of the problems with paddling a very stable boat can be that one never really learns how to brace. In my experience, I've seen this a fair amount with intermediate paddlers. If you are falling out of the Ion (You didn't say what the conditions were) I suspect your brace is not fully developed. The Huki S1R is very stable and would be a great step up. BTW, are you using a wing paddle?

More
6 years 4 months ago #30196 by denlong
Replied by denlong on topic Intermediate ?
No I never even made it into the Ion. But you are right about bracing. For me it's an intellectual concept. I never NEED to brace in the V8. Obviously something I'll need to work on when I tackle a skinny boat.

Latest Forum Topics