New boat suggestion

More
4 months 1 week ago #40727 by juki
New boat suggestion was created by juki
Hi.
Just wondering what ski has the most ‘chair’ like position...ie feet to seat difference. I have a dodgy hip and hip flexors. Or should I give up on surfski. (I have started oc6 but miss going out solo).
Current/previous craft is an old spec ski....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #40728 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic New boat suggestion
OC1 would fit. That blends your OC6 experience and desire to go solo. For Surfski, feet can only go so low (bottom of hull), so high seat is only way to make it feel like a chair, but stability quickly becomes a factor with higher seats. Others may comment here which skis have biggest seat to heel difference, though I suspect they will be the most unstable ones, and still be nowhere near an OC1.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon
The following user(s) said Thank You: juki

More
4 months 1 week ago #40729 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic New boat suggestion
I think MickeyA is right here. Having said that; if you really wanted a ski and not an OC then you could buy a very stable ski like an Epic V8 or similar and add some bum pads.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
4 months 1 week ago #40737 by juki
Replied by juki on topic New boat suggestion
I tried a carbonolgy Cruze quite a few years back but the hump didn't suit and a v8pro. I liked it at the time but I don't remember anything about the seating positions. I just remember it being different to my ski and that I was still dry when I got out. My hip wasn't bad then though either. (At the time I was just looking for a lighter ski).

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #40738 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic New boat suggestion
Nelos have this reverse hump in the footwell that lowers the feet, however it's not anywhere the OC seating position so maybe this is the best bet for you like others said.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #40739 by juki
Replied by juki on topic New boat suggestion
I messed around in my partners rec sit on top yesterday (ocean kayak prowler 13). It had a seat pad and I added a towel and my rowing seat pad and I got about half an hour with a normal stroke (rotation and leg drive). (it was slow and hard work compared to my ski). It does sound like keeping learning about single blade is the way to go.

Latest Forum Topics