K1 advice

More
3 months 5 days ago #40783 by JC
K1 advice was created by JC
After paddling intermediate skis for years (currently a Nelo 550), I've also come to enjoy k1 paddling for the glide, ergonomics, and precision of motion and effort. I'm thinking about buying a mid-stability K1 for fitness training, and maybe an occasional distance race just for fun. I'm approaching my mid-50's, so my balance is unlikely to improve significantly. Has anyone paddled a Nelo Viper 48, or the Nordic Kayaks 43 or 45 (new model)? Not much from other manufacturers available in the U.S. I don't want a sluggish boat, but I also don't want to be preoccupied with staying upright every time I paddle. Thanks all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 5 days ago #40787 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic K1 advice
Not paddled those models.

I'd urge you to get a test paddle. Stability ratings don't tell the whole story.

The first boat I won races in was an Epsilon, stab 6.
The club also had a Tor, also stab 6.
They were chalk and cheese. Tor had some secondary stability, no primary. Simply couldn't get on with the Tor at all.

There is very very little difference between speeds as you change stability rating. From 6 to 4 is maybe a minute over 10km. That is a lot in a race, but if you are primarily paddling to enjoy the glide and speed, then it matters little.

(If you were in this neck of the woods, I have a stability 1 boat in the barn not getting used)

More
3 months 3 days ago #40789 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic K1 advice
Between nelo and NK both are going to be great boats. If it was my money I would favor NK. The quality of their construction is next level. They come with a full surfski footplate which I much prefer to a tiller or the tiny nelo toe pedals. Also their pricing is really good if you are interested in a marathon weight boat at $4100. Carrying and paddling a 7kg kayak is wonderful. I am not sure what a nelo would cost at that weight but I am guessing it is more.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 months 3 days ago #40790 by JC
Replied by JC on topic K1 advice
Thanks all - I appreciate the insights.

Latest Forum Topics