Zedtech Griffin

More
13 years 11 months ago #4473 by mckengmsurfski
Anyone have any experience paddling the new Zedtech Griffin surfski? Wondering what its like (stability, speed, rudder, pedal adjustment, bucket, drainage, build quality, etc...) and there doesn't seem to be much info about it out there, even on their own website...

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 14 hours ago #6791 by Ruka
Replied by Ruka on topic Re: Zedtech Griffin
Griffin is an awesome boat I have one, this is a very light boat, weighing 10kg and measures 5.90cm in length and 44cm in width, is also formidably fast is made of carbon, the price and quality are very appealing, among all the other surfski I made the perfect choice.
This is a perfect boat.
And also recommend the nelo boats they have excellent boats.
They are both manufactured in Portugal.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6795 by MhojoNZ
Replied by MhojoNZ on topic Re:Zedtech Griffin
FWIW I have a Zedtech K1. It is really nicely finished and well-made. Factory has been supportive with spare parts etc.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7529 by ionas
Replied by ionas on topic Re: Zedtech Griffin
I train daily with the Zedtech Dominator (racing version 13 kg) surfski in open sea conditions in Varkiza Bay Greece. It really is a lean clean machine, but when faced with choppy side waves coming from every direction, I would rather have the Griffin with its 10 cm extra width! despite the relative loss of speed on the flat. In choppy european condition waves, my estimation is that a shorter wider boat like the Griffin would surf better, as it isnt caught betwenn two crests. Anyway in about a month I expect to receive our club's new Griffin, so I will have a first hand comparison!

More
11 years 1 month ago #15668 by slim white
Replied by slim white on topic Re: Zedtech Griffin
Please ionas we did not hear anything about you for a while. Could you add something more about Griffin ++ that you were going to receive in your Club?

When you get what you want you don´t want what you get

More
11 years 1 month ago #15669 by ionas
we did in deed receive many Griffin ++ at our club. They were manufactured in September 2012 and incorporated several new ideas by Goncalo Mota, who then was the director of the factory. These included redesigned scuppers, new footrests. We are very happy with the boats, they track beautifully and are good race contenders for medium experience paddlers. Excellent for introduction to surfskis and excellent for heavy weather

More
11 years 1 month ago #15671 by slim white
Thank you ionas, Now, Gonzalo Motta, is not in the company and the owner Sito Ramos council me to choose the Griffin ++ as the best of his surfskis. I am starting kayaks and surfskis in Barcelona (Spain) through the Port Olympic were we hope to develop a very positive activity.
What level of stability and speed do you consider this surfs-ski? Similar to xt, Think Evo, V10 sport?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15674 by ionas
I would compare the griffin to a V8-V10 but you cannot compare different boats. You must understand though that the Griffin is a entry level boat and a suitable boat for a medium level paddler wishing to get experience in big waves. Once you reach expert level, the Griffin is a slow boat and you must move to a longer and faster boat. Also the Griffin is quite slower than the slimmer boats in flat conditions. At the Club we bought them because we have many beginners and medium level paddlers. You might consider the Dominator XL it is a wide version of the Dominator. We also have a few of those and they are very good for beginners and especially good for heavier male paddlers

More
11 years 1 month ago #15675 by slim white
Thank you ionas for your information. I should like to know your point of view about which ski is more interesting between Dominator Xl or Griffin ++ in accordance of stability and speed. Griffin++ apparently seems to me very short and unstable, the Dominator XL could be compared with Fenn XT? I am 76 years old and actually sail in a Tahe wind 585. I have some experience with initiation race kayaks, but I should like not to go out from the ski very often and improve my skills step by step. Also if I chance to the ski is because I should like to go faster than my Tahe Wind. Which one do you consider more suitable, pros and inconveniences of each one? Sorry for disturb you with so many questions.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15678 by ionas
obviously the XL is faster than the Griffin, as it is longer, but in terms of stability, I would rank them equal, so in effect I would prefer the XL in the long run EXCEPT if you are under 70 kilograms in weight, then go for the Griffin.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #15679 by slim white
Following your indications I am going to order a Dominator XL That was my initial idea, but on factory,I don´t know why, insist on Giffin ++ as the best choice. ¿?¿?¿? The Griffin ++ has not succeeded in Spain. In factory argued that is designed for Mediterranean short waves easier to surf ¿?¿?
The more successfully Ski in Spain is the Fenn XT 580X48 equal sizes as the Dominator XL, with more stability allows easy paddling and consequently enough fast in comparative with less stable and radical Skis. You have your last word to help in the correct purchase.

Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by slim white.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15681 by ionas
your choice of the XL is much better if you want speed, and you are above 75-80 kgs body weight. The XL is a wide boat, it is fast because of its length and planes VERY VERY EASILY. It isnt true that the Griffin planes more easily on short waves. The XL has more buyoancy in the bow and handles easily on any wave. The only reason we bought the Griffins is for lighter younger paddlers. We had discussed it extensively with Goncalo when we made the order for the 20 new boats we bought and we made the spread between Dominators for expert paddlers, Dominator XLs for adult novice and intermediate paddlers, and Griffins for novice and intermediate paddlers of younger ages and lighter (less than 72-73 kgs) paddlers. We bought a 10 Dominators, 5 XL and 5 Griffins.
To be quite honest, the Griffin is a nice boat, but I would NEVER race it. I am 85 kgs and an expert paddler. When I am out of shape, I always choose a XL. If I were you I would try to test the boats before purchase. Do you have a dealer close to you?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15682 by slim white
Thank you very much you are so kind ionas. Your comments are a great value for me . My weight is 80 kilos and the philosophies of long a short wave is something to demonstrate. The Mocke brothers wins in the Mediterranean sea and in South Africa, with his long long long surfskis.
Gonzalo recently speaks with me saying that has left the company, I do not know why. When we were in touch he always insist to me to choose the griffin ++ . The owner of the company Sito Ramos, is in the same line with the Griffin ++, but what I want in equal stability conditions is the faster ski.
As you have check both skis your comments are neutral and friendly . Unfortunately I have not any dealer near Barcelona, were I use to paddle every morning, to check. I go out from a pantalan in the Port Olympic, crossing amount a channel of approx 500 meters, between stationary sail cruisers and I go out to the sea. This place will let me practice the Dominator XL on flat water until I get the enough skills to manage with big waves, step to step.
Definitively, I shall order the Dominator XL and if there is not other "reason" or inconvenience I hope to have this ski the soon as possible.
I have read your interesting comments carefully and I appreciate so much the value of your time and acknowledgement.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15685 by slim white
Today I have speak with Sito Ramos and I order the Dominator XL mentioning your comments. For your nick I have deduct that you are operating in Greece and Sito mention me that you were a good customer of the company and if you have council that to me it must be correct, because he do not paddle to much.
Thank you IONAS you have avoid a mistake. The measures of this ski are Long 620 Weight 47, Is this correct?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15687 by slim white
In the last information from Zedtech, they show/give the following classification.

GRIFFIN ** DOMINATOR XL
ACCELERATION 3/4 2/3
STABILITY 2 4
MANOEUVRABILITY 4/5 4/5

Is this correct?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15694 by ionas
you mean width 47, the weight depends on the construction method.
I hope you enjoy your new boat

More
11 years 1 month ago #15695 by slim white
Yes, sorry width 47. But the rest... ?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15696 by ionas
obviously the XL is faster than the Griffin, as it is longer, but in terms of stability, I would rank them equal, so in effect I would prefer the XL in the long run EXCEPT if you are under 70 kilograms in weight, then go for the Griffin.
that is the answer I gave you a few days ago, and I still give you the same answer.
I am comparing two boats, but I must take into account the paddler weight and experience.
light paddler 50-65 kgs go for the Griffin
heavy paddler 70+ go for the XL
I will not get into the conversation of acceleration because again this depends on the actual weight of the boat. example, a superlight carbon XL will accelerate better than a heavy fiberglass Griffin and oppositely, a full fiberglass XL will need a very powerful paddler, or a heavy tail wind, and a superlight Griffin might be closer to a K1 in performance.
As you see, choosing a boat is not easy, but based on my experience in training people, I recommend the XL for you. Both boats turn almost the same way (maneuverability) despite the 40 cm difference, but I feel that the XL will suit you much more, because in heavier waves, it is MUCH MUCH more stable than the Griffin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bernhard

More
11 years 1 month ago #15697 by slim white
Thank you very much Ionas for your complete information that I appreciate very much really. Factory don´t help to much which boat to choose, what they specially want to do is sale any one of his warehouse.
I do not know why the factories do not write a extent review of his boats to give some help to the possible and future customers. I know that every person is a different history, different skills, weight experience etc. but helps a lot some kind of comments, as you have given to me, to take a decision, if you have not the boats near to check then personally.
Thank you very ionas, barakalo and kalispera.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15698 by slim white
Thank you very much Ionas for your complete information that I appreciate very much really. Factory don´t help to much which boat to choose, what they specially want to do is sale any one of his warehouse.
I do not know why the factories do not write a extent review of his boats to give some help to the possible and future customers. I know that every person is a different history, different skills, weight experience etc. but helps a lot some kind of comments, as you have given to me, to take a decision, if you have not the boats near to check then personally.
Thank you very much ionas, barakalo and kalispera.

Latest Forum Topics