New Epic V8

• Jerry
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #14457 by Jerry
New Epic V8 was created by Jerry
I see from the Epic website that a new version of the V8 has been introduced. A little less volume and rocker. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the original.

Here's the link to the article
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by [email protected]. Reason: Added link to the article on Epic's site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jerry
  • Visitor
11 years 3 months ago #15031 by Jerry
Replied by Jerry on topic Re: New Epic V8
I picked up the new V8 Friday (1/11) at the Jersey Paddler in NJ. The boat looks great and I took it out Saturday to see how it compares to the older version.

Paddled 20K on flat water, it's faster then the former model. The bucket is slightly longer and leg drive for me, (being tall), was less effort and more natural. Stability is the same despite the reduction in hull area. I know this to be a fact, (hull depth), because I retro'ed an older V8 rudder and had to shorten the metal shaft to get it in the box.

So without getting too technical, which I am not, nor commercial, I have no affiliation with any manufacturer, I can say that this is a boat I would recommend to anyone who is getting into surfski paddling.

I am looking forward to getting it out on bigger water once the weather gets warmer.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15035 by CyberSki
Replied by CyberSki on topic Re: New Epic V8
I picked up my 2013 V8 Ultra today...wow. All angles cut in everywhere from the front deck, sides, back deck..what a gorgeous boat! No chance to paddle it today but will be out in it soon as I can!

It was like a bonus that the ski came with a fitted red canvas boat bag and the rudder was very nicely done!

Good news about the extra leg length though as I am 188cm (6'2") with a 35" inseam!

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

More
11 years 3 months ago #15045 by foundwood
Replied by foundwood on topic Re: New Epic V8
Can you please post pictures of the new V8?

More
11 years 3 months ago #15047 by CyberSki
Will try again, but only 2 at a time.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(
Attachments:

More
11 years 3 months ago #15048 by CyberSki
Two more..and no, I won't be using the saddles to "ride" it...

:P

Attachments:

More
11 years 3 months ago #15049 by foundwood
Replied by foundwood on topic Re: New Epic V8
Thank you for posting the pictures. How much faster is it over the old hull design?

More
11 years 3 months ago #15050 by CyberSki
Sorry, but I haven't paddled the old model. You will have to ask "Jerry" in the postings above - he has paddled both of them and believes the newer one to be faster - though he didn't specify how much faster.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15115 by Selkie
Replied by Selkie on topic Re: New Epic V8
I will reserve full judgement until I see the new V8 in the flesh, but looking at the photos available so far...on looks alone I prefer the clean lines of the old V8. I can't see how efficiency has been improved over the original. The rocker cannot be much less and I would have thought this would only slightly improve on flat water. In bigger conditions a slight rocker would be better, surely?

Has anyone got any feedback on paddling the new V8?

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021

More
11 years 3 months ago #15128 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic Re: New Epic V8
Selkie

I've paddled(raced downwind - ocean) the 2010 model V8 in Club, Ultra & Elite spec...In races up to 18kms in length in winds around 20-25knots. I currently have the 2013 model V8 in Ultra spec and competed in the recent Doctor race 27km (channel crossing). I like the old model - but the new model is so much better - quicker, lighter - cockpit is longer centre grab handles are brilliant. I think the lines are much more pleasing to the eye than the old(personal preference perhaps). I am certainly quicker in the new model than the previous one - even against the elite spec . It feels a stronger paddling position as the rocker straightning makes it feel that you are seating slightly higher than your heels.

Regards,

Simon (Sumo)

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
11 years 3 months ago #15136 by Selkie
Replied by Selkie on topic Re: New Epic V8
Thanks for your enthusiastic feedback Sumo. One question though. My friend is 6'4" with very long legs. His original V8 has ample cockpit length and plenty to spare, so it begs the question...why is the new cockpit longer and by how much?

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021

More
11 years 3 months ago #15137 by Simon Haywood
Selkie,
Compared to my previous V8(2010 model) I'd say it has been extended by about 20mm...as that is the gap I now have from my foot plate to bulkhead in the 2013 model - where i had none before. I heard from a reliable source the length has been extended in most of the skis being revamped in the Epic range. Just an aside my V12(2012 - delivered) is a little too short in the leg - you'd think they would all be the same - WRONG!...apparently the 2013 version V12 is now a lot longer! I'm 6'2" but i have REALLY long limbs - my arm span is over 2m!

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
11 years 3 months ago #15138 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: New Epic V8
Good to know about the extended cockpit lengths! Hope that'll be true for other models too. I am looking forward to the new V10 for that very reason and hoping the bucket will be wider than the old one, which is too narrow for my bones, that barely fit in the V12 but don't in the V10...

More
11 years 3 months ago #15143 by hamishglen
Replied by hamishglen on topic Re: New Epic V8
re: larger cockpit - wouldn't that mean the cockpit would collect more water when conditions are big??

Or is the cockpit longer, but the volume remains the same?

More
11 years 3 months ago #15144 by Simon Haywood
In my time with both models of the V8(2010 & 2013) I have not experienced any appreciable difference in volume of water held between the two...and i often fill it up!
Its a longer cockpit...that does not neccesarily mean bigger.

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
11 years 2 months ago #15575 by PaddleFaster
Replied by PaddleFaster on topic Re: New Epic V8
Just found this thread. I find the newly refined V8 interesting and might consider replacing my older Performance model with a new Ultra model V8.

I do wish that Epic had designed an AR (Adventure Racer)boat around the V8 and 18X boat. Sort of the V8 version of the V6 Tourer.

To me, such a boat would have very broad range appeal and I personally would buy one the day it hit the store. That kind of boat, in an Ultra layup could be used for just about any type of paddling, anyone could want to do... Jack Of All Trades so to speak.

That being said, the hull of the old V8 performs more like a kayak than a ski, with the arse end swaying and fidgeting around quite a bit in smaller downwind chop.

I am wondering if the reduced rocker of the new model reduced that sensation and makes her feel and perform, (track) closer to that of a traditional ski. Any opinions?

More
11 years 2 months ago #15596 by Simon Haywood
Hi just in from a short downwinder in V8(2013) Ultra spec. top speed a tad over 18km/hr wind was about 20knts smallish waves and a little confused. Ski tracks well...I haven't noticed with old spec V8(2010) this "arse end swaying and fidgeting around" you talk of...and I've paddled the 2010 model(in various spec) alot more than my 2013 V8. Occassionally I've paddled alongside other more fancied skis - seems to behave as good and as fast over a short period (lacks waterline length) so eventually I fall behind...more about my lack of ability than the ski I fear!

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #15597 by PaddleFaster
Thanks Sumo. It may be a sensation that I feel because of the inlet currents I spend a lot of time paddling in as opposed to taking runs.

The V8, in some conditions, feels like she is sliding around more when I have a current running under me and paddling through chop, much like my sea kayaks used to. Almost like a very slight lifting and turning sensation. Hard to describe. Maybe the term would be, slightly more lively.

My V10 Sport doesn't seem to have this trait and always feels like she is moving predictably forward with very little sliding around, if any at all.

Maybe it's simply a different feeling because of the two boat's length to width ratio...
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by PaddleFaster.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #15603 by Simon Haywood
Paddlefaster - Had a thought...I'm not using the standard rudder (as issued with the boat) I'm using a Surf Rudder (eliptical shape). Get the one to suit the V8, they are available by request. I paddled the V8 elite(2010) and it was set up with an eliptical rudder from a double ski...too large (drag) and not enough finesse. This might help you too.

BTW I have no tacking issue with my V10 sport either...but I only use it on smaller days and flat water and I interchange between a weedless rudder and surf rudder depending on the conditions of the day.

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Simon Haywood. Reason: error

More
11 years 2 months ago #15631 by PaddleFaster
Sumo, thanks for the reply and I understand your suggestion 100%. I did have the surf rudder for a bit and you are correct it did change the feeling of the boat in the circumstances I mentioned. My problem was that a lot of areas I paddle through can be weed heavy so I stay with the stock rudder. Thanks again for taking the time and offering great opinion.

Latest Forum Topics