What has happened to Surfski Info?

More
11 years 3 months ago #15056 by zamalek
Can someone update me on this site?It used to be a wealth of information but lately nothing but Forum topics.Where is the Cape Point Challenge report or an update on this weekends Perth race.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15057 by mckengmsurfski
I think the answer is that Rob can only do so much alone. I'm sure he has a real job, family/personal commitments, and the call of Miller's Run to heed as well. In the past he has called for all of us to submit race reports, tests/reviews, etc... to help out. I'm guessing that still holds true.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15062 by [email protected]

zamalek wrote: Can someone update me on this site?It used to be a wealth of information but lately nothing but Forum topics.Where is the Cape Point Challenge report or an update on this weekends Perth race.

Too right - and I apologise...! Should have had stuff up on both events (haven't seen much from Deano on the Doctor!) Also the final rankings for 2012... aaaaaargh.

Life's somewhat overwhelming at the moment, got a honking great project we have to deliver on at work. My activities are just about limited to keeping the spammers off the site for now.

Sorry, I'll get back on the case as soon as I can. I'm just very grateful to all of you guys on the forum who keep things ticking over...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h

More
11 years 3 months ago #15064 by Metro
Nothing to apologize for Rob. Great site and we all need to contribute.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h

More
11 years 3 months ago #15072 by tony h
you are a legend Rob, keep it rolling when time permits!!

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
11 years 3 months ago #15073 by Dicko
Looks like conditions for the Doctor are going to be perfect. Seabreeze in the afternoon between 15-20kts, with a 1 metre swell.
All the big names from Australia are entered. Jaspe Mocke and Hank Mcgregor from SA. Looks like being a classic downwind. I will be sitting on the beach waiting for some mates to finish. Hopefully there will be some commentary and updates from the beach. In the absence of live commentary I can relay what they call if anyone is interested.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15074 by rambo

More
11 years 3 months ago #15109 by zamalek
Can anyone help with a report on what happened at The Doctor race in Perth?All I know is Jasper won followed by Hank.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15110 by [email protected]
I had an email chat with Jasper a few days after the race:

Hey Jasper,

Congratulations on the Doctor... superb! And even better that South Africa got 1, 2!!! The Aussies must have been bleak!

Thanks! They were a bit, but we didn't rub it in their faces like Oscar does............

I'd love to know how it went - I understand that Jeremy Cotter got to the hotspot first, and then I saw a tweet that said that you and Hank went to one side.

Ja Jeremy got the hotspot. I was next to him but didn't go all out, he was looking determined so I wasn't going to waste energy. I wanted to be strong as we turned and tha's exactly what I did. As we rounded the hotspot/marker I got away and basically never looked back. I don't know where everyone was. I could only see hank about 100m behind me the whole way and never saw anyone else. We had to go inside a reef marker. I scouted it quite well so I had a good idea of where I was going which enabled to me chase runs with conviction and not worry about where to go.

What were the conditions like? Sounded something like a reverse Buffels? ie someone said it was flat at the start and then the wind arrived about 6km in and there were small runs after that?

Wasn't quite like a reverse. To start with there were small bumps but actually also a lot of boat wash because there was lots of boat traffic around, ferries and all. So you had to make the most of that until the runs built up. Then when the runs came it was great. It was the size that was great to sit on, but hard to paddle over, so patience and focus was key. After we rounded the reef marker it was straight from behind and loads of fun.

Did you and Hank paddle together?

No, I got away from him at the start. Don't know how far behind he was. Only spotted him a third into the race about 100m behind me most of the way.

What gave you the edge over all those Aussies who were basically paddling in home conditions?!

Well you must remember that the challenging aussies actually don't paddle in perth any more than we do. they're all from Sydney and the Gold Coast so the playing field is relatively even. It was my 5th Doctor so I have some good insight into the conditions.

The Doctor 2013 Results

John O'Sullivan's great pics

I've also been told that Hank McGregor was marking Tim Jacobs who was favourite for the race and let Jasper get too far ahead...

Looking forward to the race video from Rambo...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 3 months ago #15111 by rambo
Video's on the way, I wanted to get a TJs take on the race but couldn't find him in the big crowd after the race, eventually found him in the carpark, quick chat off camera only, but I did get Jezza, Japs and Ruth interview.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15124 by rambo
The Doctor vid is upping ... 5 hrs to go -:)

Latest Forum Topics