What do you think of my technique?

More
11 years 2 months ago #15542 by Nelo Surfski Tahiti

What are the fault of my technique? There is always better!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15543 by Nelo Surfski Tahiti
My video

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

More
11 years 2 months ago #15544 by Nelo Surfski Tahiti

More
11 years 2 months ago #15548 by Physio
i havnt a clue about yr tecnique, yr staying upright so thats about the extent of my usefull advice, ( but nice "jass hands" finger wigling on the right hand, i might add this to my paddling")

the water where you are looks amzing though.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15549 by Love2ski
Wow what a great place to paddle

I'm no expert but your rotation looks good. I wonder if your bent arms limits your forward reach bit.

Sometimes your leading hand moves across your body between chin and eyes. Often it doesn't however.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #15550 by Kocho
Hard to tell from the boat-mounted cam position, but upper hand seems to be diving down, back slouching, leaning way too much to the left surfing. Also, I think opening the right hand and straightening the fingers so much at every stroke is actually more tiring compared to just relaxing the grip...
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Kocho.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15565 by kayakchampeen
It would appear that you are getting the paddle seated earlier in the catch on your right(on side) than on your left. I would chalk this up to two things. Your rotation is pretty good but sometimes your paddle shaft angle seem flatter on the left as the blade enters the water. Also I think you are over rotating the wrist cock for the feather of the paddle on your left and the blade is entering the water with less angle of attack than your right side. Paddle verticality is not textbook but is a good, relaxed carriage for surfski/distance paddling. The timing is pretty good too. Maybe think about experimenting with different angles of attack of the paddle on both sides. I find that if I have the blade face fairly open(powerface almost away from the side of ski) right as the blade enters the water. I can engage the power phase a bit sooner and the rotation naturally brings the angle to an optimum almost immediately. Basically your stroke is pretty good but anything you can do to get the blade seated in the water well to get the power on a bit earlier in the stroke might be of benefit.
An aside, Hey Kocho! I see you posting on Boatertalk as well and get the impression you are also a whitewater boater and live in the S.E. USA like me. Is this correct? maybe we can rendezvous some time for a paddle.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15566 by Kocho
I'm in the Wash. DC area and yes, I do more WW lately than surf ski or sea. Hope to do more ski again when it warms-up. If you are ever this way, shoot me a line.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15567 by Nelo Surfski Tahiti
Thank you for your answers, I actually noticed that my kayak leans more right side, I try to fix but I do not know or that come, I train with an angle 67.68 °. Capture my not be symmetrical, I hit a lot more than the hull right to left.
My favorite paddle is it best left or right (I'm left handed)
Can you meet me in basic English because I translate with google and some words are not translated!

More
11 years 2 months ago #15569 by kayakchampeen
Basic structure of your stroke is very natural, you see the slight asymmetry. but mostly would focus on exactly the angle with which the blade first hits the water at the catch. I think you cam still hook up a bit earlier by getting more purchase on the water sooner. vary the angles of paddle shaft and how open the blade is good luck!

More
11 years 2 months ago #15570 by Nelo Surfski Tahiti
I listened to your advice Kayakchampeen I put my paddle at 60 ° instead of 68 ° and effectively capture is rather!
capture my paddle stroke is more balanced between left and right, I'll see if I go to 55 °.
I think that the imbalance was due to the angle!
thank you.

I'm open if others have advice to give me!!

More
11 years 2 months ago #15571 by Kocho
Keep going - one day you shall achieve a true balance, when you get to 0 degree ;)

Latest Forum Topics