Protective Gear

More
11 years 1 week ago #16296 by Boof Head
Do you mean safety gear?

The only protective gear that I can think of that I use is for sun protection.

Wide brim hat with chinstrap
Longsleeve shirt. I use a hi viz workers shirt because I like having the collar up for extra sun protection on neck.

Cold weather protection not an issue for me but in Winter, I sometimes wear a pair of el cheapo compression skins to keep the chill down during morning paddles. Not really needed though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #16297 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: Protective Gear
For me it depends where I paddle and the conditions. On the local river I usually dress for a brief immersion only. I would be cold in the water for even the accidental swim and remount. I would be very cold if I need to swim to shore on my own, but I estimate I will still be in good shape to do it. In winter on a sunny day this means dry suit with a thin or medium layer under, in Spring - I might go for dry pants with a short sleeve dry top, summer - just the PFD and a light colored rash guard (well, shorts too ;))

For open water I dress much more conservatively with heavy layers under my dry suit or otherwise that would allow me to swim for a long time if I must (couple of hours at least, as that's how far the shore would be for me in the worst case scenario that I don't get picked-up by one of the plentiful boats quickly. I also carry a VHF marine radio on my PFD there, a paddle float on the ski, ski to leg leash, whistle, head gear (NRS Mystery or even a full hood if colder), gloves, water shoes with neo socks over the latex booties on the dry suit, etc. I even sometimes carry a canoe paddle as a spare.

And I I have someone who knows I'm out and needs to alert the coast guard if I'm not out within the expected time.

A good strategy is to paddle with others. But I usually go out alone, so I tend to stick to places where I can swim out of and take a bit more stuff with me, to be self reliant.

I tend to take intentional swims from time to time to test my gear and to see how I feel after a few hundred yards swimming in the water or doing self rescue practice over an extended period of time (not necessarily in the ski, but the experience carries over). A quick dip and remount are very different from an extended swim of even 10-15 minutes in cold conditions... I must admit I have not tried to soak for hours in cold water, so whether my layers are enough for a full body immersion over a long time is anyone's guess, but I figure if I have on my upper body similar layers that keep my bum and feet warm in the ski with water washing over all the time, I should be good for a couple of hours swimming too...
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Kocho.

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #16298 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Protective Gear
Some shark repellent as used by Batman would be comforting

It does seem that ol mate biting Batman doesn't have teeth??
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Boof Head.

Latest Forum Topics