best GPS unit

More
11 years 1 week ago #16308 by partymarty
best GPS unit was created by partymarty
Hey guys.

I'm looking to purchase a GPS unit, but where I live my choices are a little limited, with all outdoors shops being catered to bushwalking etc and all marine shops being catered to boating. So it looks like I'll be buying online.

I'm not after all the bells and whistles, just something to tell me how fast I'm going, which direction and averages. I'm not really fussed with heart rate monitors or anything like that. I just want something I can easily read when it's attatched to my footstrap.

You all seem to mention Garmin's, but the model sold around here, while waterproof doesn't look like it will live long strapped to a surfski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16310 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: best GPS unit
Hard to beat the Garmin 310xt, honestly.

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #16316 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Re: best GPS unit
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Kayaker Greg wrote: Hard to beat the Garmin 310xt, honestly.

Agree - best bang for buck and does everything you need on a ski

www.dcrainmaker.com/ this chap has some of the most comprehensive reviews of what is available, biased towards cycling and running though.

I purchased through this guy and that was the cheapest option for where I live.
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by sAsLEX.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16339 by ptititoi
Replied by ptititoi on topic Re: best GPS unit
I agree too, I have mine for 2 years now and I never had any problem.

Kayaker Greg wrote: Hard to beat the Garmin 310xt, honestly.

Fenn Swordfish

More
11 years 1 week ago #16354 by wesley
Replied by wesley on topic Re: best GPS unit
I have had every generation Garmin and used my 305 for 5 years until I lost it a few weeks ago. My back up is my Garmin 310 XT that i use now.

However, a few months ago I bought the Suunto Ambit, after Chris, my training partner got one. I rarely use it for paddling. However,the battery life on it is the best i have ever seen. I can go for a 1-3 weeks without charging it. I use it as my every day watch and i tend to use it when away on business trips since it can do every thing and I only need to bring one watch for everything. Display is great(huge) for the aging eye! GPS uplink is the best I have ever seen. I can be running on my treadmill in my basement and still get a reliable GPS signal for the entire run. That is impressive. Others fade in and out or I get no reception in my concrete basement. You can only change the display screens via the computer which is an advantage on the Garmins that u can change on the watch itself.

Yesterday I got the latest new Timex 2.0 GPS/HR. I have found over the years that the Timex is the most intuitive to use. The display on the 2.0 is great and rivals that of the Ambit. I used it for the first time today while running. Like Saslex wrote, go to DC rainmaker and see his comprehesive review on this watch as well. I mention it because is less expensive than certainly the Ambit and the Garmin 310XT. Timex customer service is very good and you can talk to a live person. In today's world that is rare. The GPS signal was very quick to upload which was a problem with previous generations. It is also very light on the wrist unlike the Garmins. You barely know you are wearing it.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

Latest Forum Topics