Best ski for surfing beach waves

More
11 years 1 day ago #16814 by mickeyA
I like to surf waves that break toward the beach (not offshore, downwind surfing). I'm talking about the same waves surfboarders, wave skis, etc surf ~100 yards or meters off the beach. Is it obviously going to be a spec ski, or do some stable durable fiberglass skis like Fenn XT or Epic V8 do just as well? If spec, are some better wave surfers than others? Thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 21 hours ago #16819 by Nige
If you're into riding breaking waves then a lifesaving spec ski is the way to go : that's what they're designed for, and they can usually handle the punishment without breaking.

Long distance racing skis are more prone to broaching on breaking waves and are more fragile.

More
11 years 21 hours ago #16820 by TaffyMick
If you want to use a ski the Epic V8 and the Fenn BlueFin will probably be the go. Just make sure you install the surf rudder option. Will make a heap of difference.

Also have a look at Fatpaddler.com some excellent footage on there of many types of skis being used to surf.

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
11 years 20 hours ago #16821 by kayakchampeen
It depends on what you mean by "surf". Any shorter/spec ski will catch steep green waves on outside sets and ride toward the beach until they break. There was a forum post recently about shorter skis featuring footage of just what you describe. Bear in mind, however, that these guys are just sitting on a low brace doing NOTHING, until they kick out as the wave begins to break. That's not what I call surfing. Spec skis are designed for around the cans racing and surf rescue and are constructed to handle surf but are still not really the ticket for actually surfing breaking waves. And by surfing I mean working the wave, cutbacks, 360's floaters, aerials, reentry, etc, in the pocket of hollow breaking waves. There is NO surfski in the world that will do this, the best you can ever hope for is a short ride to the beach, whilst staving off a broach the entire time. You do not want a rudder actuated boat to surf breaking waves, It's pointless. What it sounds like you need is a 12' or so sit on top with rockered nose, thruster fin configuration, and thigh straps, b/c the dynamic control has to come from leans and body control and not rudder input. The cobra wave witch/strike, prijon twister, or wilderness systems alamax/kaos are still fast enough to catch waves early but offer way more possibilities for fun while on a breaking wave. Better yet, learn to roll and find yourself an older 3.5m IC surf kayak, which is my weapon of choice in the circumstances you describe. I can catch waves way outside like a ski (w/a bit more work), and be carving, edge to edge transition, roundhouse, etc. all the way until closeout, working the whole wave the entire time. I don't have to just sit on a brace locked into one attitude (hoping not to broach) and then panic when the wave gets critical. Even shorter skis cannot do "exit moves" which is a term for techniques you do to save your ass when the section finally dumps on you. If you get this critical on a ski you are just effin' gonna get munched. Long story short, I dont think you should be looking at skis at all for what you are trying to accomplish, unless it's an older style Waveski, that is still long/fast enough to catch waves on the outside.

More
11 years 10 hours ago #16822 by LaPerouseBay
Thanks for reinforcing my feelings about skis in the surf zone. I often walk my ski home after downwinders, it's great for solo stuff. The trick is that my closest take out to home is a popular surf break. It's gentle, but usually crowded.

I've always been leery and extremely careful to show extreme respect for the surf zone. It is often loaded with standups, prones, kids inside on the second break etc. They have always been great about letting me through. We also have six mans parked there, so it's common to see big boats going in and out.

But I just want to say thanks for responding. Lot's of new paddlers may count on this site for safety tips.

Being tied to a calf leash and going over the falls could be bad news for a paddler. Perhaps the boat can drag you around and pummel you? I always wondered if it was safer to unclip when I had a calf leash. Maybe so, but what about the people downrange of the ski?

The uncertainty of losing the boat and watching it get away scared the crap out of me. So, thanks to the info here, I set up a sliding rear leash. Worst case scenario - I get fooled, lose it, fall out. Still have control of the boat. It takes less gas because it's oriented straight to the wave, not sideways. With any luck I'll pull it back to me, get in, try again.

Losing control of a ski and watching it go in, mowing down kids is a fate worse than death. The surf occasionally gets too risky, and I have an alternate way in with a bit more walking. I've done it a few times.

But a rogue wave will get me some day. Thanks to surfski.info, I'll be a bit more prepared.

downwind dilettante

More
10 years 11 months ago #16826 by Tecpartner
LPB:

I'd love to see that sliding leash. I have thought about that for a long time, but I'm not sure how to set it up.

Tecpartner

I'd rather be paddling....

Think EVO II
Epic V10S
Nelo 520
Epic V8

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16830 by LaPerouseBay
It's like a leash for a dog that slides along a clothesline.

You need secure mounts at the cargo net and out back. I use an epic coil leash tied to my pfd. It clips to the line.

Remounting is tangle free and the cockpit is cleaner.

My slider has the ability to unclip on one end so I can tow stuff. The removable end clips to an elastic loop to keep the line snug. The secure end is up by the cargo net. It's sort of a double line, shaped like a V. Here's a pic of it as I rest on an ama. :)

File Attachment:

I also have a little bungee gizmo to drag my paddle behind me. I've heard it's hard to swim with a wing blade. I wrap a length of elastic cord with two looped ends around the shaft, secured temporarily with tape. I can uncoil it and clip one end to my pfd. The other loop slides up to the blade.

File Attachment:

Search this forum for leash ideas. The sea kayak guys have it dialed.

downwind dilettante
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by LaPerouseBay.

Latest Forum Topics