Green 7 pro70 versus Synergy

• gnome
  • Visitor
12 years 6 months ago #8444 by gnome
Green 7 pro70 versus Synergy was created by gnome
Hi all
Ive got the G7 and our coastline is mostly chop and when I say chop its so choppy the waves are only metres apart. So paddling in it is bloody scary. The waves come in from all angles, no definition to them at all. When I look at the vids of the G7 and Synergy out in Durbin where its real windy, but those conditions are what we call clean down our way.
So keeping that in mind has the Synergy got better stablity qualities or not much difference?
I would assume the Synergy would be a bit slower too. Thats not so important. I have a flatwater race boat when I want to go faster. The G7 and flatwater boat speed is pretty much the same so I wouldnt mind a ski that handles ocean conditions better. More like a fast, fun wave surfing ski that is a bit closer to a sea worthy kayak. Not just great down wind. Though the G7 is fun down wind.
Or what else would you all suggest I try? Looking cheap for a second ski. Not new. Cant afford that.
ps Im 5`10`` 180lbs 31inch inseam (short legs so need small hump, I hate humps.)
Gnome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8448 by Dicko
The synergy is a lot more stable than the green 7. They are quick downwind but fairly unimpressive in the flat. Damn cheap second boat if you want something for the chop. Can be difficult to remount cos they have a deep seat. If you want a second boat purely for the rough stuff probably not bad. Will make you appreciate your G7 more. I think the stability comes from the depth of the seat cos I am sure the hull is modelled on the icon which was a fairly unstable. I paddled one a while back and it felt like a stellar SE only slower.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #8454 by rubberDuck
My wife has the Synergy 2 and I am thinking of getting a Red 7. I have paddled both and I don't think the Red 7 is that much more tippy compared to the Synergy. The Synergy might have better secondary stability, but that remounting issue is a problem. Might just think of doing a mod job on the Synergy to lower the gunwales.

I see Mark from Custom Kayaks is bringing out a new mid range ski, and yes, the gunwales will be lowered by 4 cm. See here

Look also at the Fenn Mako 6. That should also handle the chop well, and since everybody is buying Elites, you might get a 6 for a song.

PS: I am not sure how much the stability of the Green 7 and Red 7 compare.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by rubberDuck.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8457 by Rightarmbad
A Quick look at geartrade.com.au shows more Fenn Elites for sale than anything else.
Go figure.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 6 months ago #8464 by mckengmsurfski
I've owned a Red7 Surf70 Pro ('glass) and a Synergy (Hybrid). For me the Synergy was way more stable and was the ski I used as a beginner. The remount on the Synergy is tougher but I found that with practice it became a non-issue. My main issue with the Synergy was how deep the seat was and the subsequent less than ideal paddling position. It's a bit slower than the Red7 on the flat but that dissappeared for me in chop b/c of the better stability of the Synergy (keep in mind I was a beginner). In the end I wasn't crazy about either ski and thus I moved on to other skis. If I were looking for a used ski to play in the waves and chop and do the old rough downwind in, I'd be looking at V10 Sport or Think Evo maybe. If you just want something to play in the surf, why not a Spec ski? I also had a Honcho Guevara at one point that was a lot of fun in the waves, but a bit of dog everywhere else.

• gnome
  • Visitor
12 years 6 months ago #8470 by gnome
Replied by gnome on topic Re: Green 7 pro70 versus Synergy
Hi mckengmsurfski
The Spec ski did enter my mind. Are they more stable than a ocean ski like the Green7?
rubberDuck Maybe I could mod the G7 and lower the seat? That might help a bit. What a thought though take to a new ski with an angle grinder. EEEk. Maybe when it gets older. But then again its a good ski and to make it more versitile could be worth it.?
If I could find a ski that is basically a sea worthy sea kayak for all conditions but faster like most skis are and still be able to ride the swells and go down wind then that would be perfect. Does perfect exist? Probably not? Cheap I doubt it.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8474 by mckengmsurfski
Guess it depends on the spec ski.
I don't think trying to somehow lower the seat in your Green7 is the answer, nor feasable.
I'm not sure what you mean by a sea worthy sea kayak?
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want what everyone is now calling an 'intermediate' ski instead of a Green 7, which (if it's anything like my old Red7) is more of an advanced paddlers ocean ski.
The V10 Sport, Fenn Swordfish, and Think Evo all fit the bill with what you describe you're looking for in regards to a ski "...for all conditions faster like most skis are and still be able to ride the swells and go down wind..." Also, the Stellar SEL is supposed to be pretty fast all around and more stable than most skis with similar speed. I know you won't find an SEL or Swordfish used, but I mention them because your thoughts/questions make me wonder about what lead you to buy the Green7 in the first place? Doesn't really seem to fit the bill of what you're looking for overall. Have you considered putting it up for sale and trying something else? Also, you say you don't want a high hump. My experience with the Synergy is that b/c the seat is deeper, the hump seems larger. All of the other skis above have smaller humps than the Synergy.

• peterpav
  • Visitor
12 years 6 months ago #8683 by peterpav
Replied by peterpav on topic Re: Green 7 pro70 versus Synergy
I owned a Red7 Surf 70 Pro, same mould, 3kg heavier and a Custom Kayaks Synergy with a time overlap where I had both for about 4 months so had quite a few training sessions using them back to back.
The Synergy had more stability into the wind/waves and on the flat, but the Red 7 was better in side chop and catching wave runners. It's also quite a bit quicker.
The Synergy build quality is as good or better than any other ski on the market. It is better than many skis costing more than twice as much. Heading directly into waves, chop or headwinds it is the fastest ski I've owned. It's just a pity that the elite skis (Red7 included) will thrash it downwind. The Synergy catches any size waves effortlessly, but doesn't have the pace to outrun them. The Red7 can easily link waves moving forward and easily climbs over and onto the next wave in front, even in messy wind swell/chop! Huge fun and faster than my Epic V10 Ultra!
As a pairing, it was quite fun to own both, they are quite different skis with very different strengths, even down to how wet you get. With the Synergy you could paddle in clothes. With it's deep sides, high volume and great venturis. The Red7 has better venturis (3 vs 2) but has low sides and very low volume... You will get very wet in even mild side chop.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8687 by AR_convert

Rightarmbad wrote: A Quick look at geartrade.com.au shows more Fenn Elites for sale than anything else.
Go figure.

People acknowledging that they aren't super paddlers and need to step back to a more intermediate boat perhaps :whistle:

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #8697 by mario
Yep, done the step to an intermediate ski (swordfish)and am smiling.
My bet is those Elites are going to be replaced by Elite SL's by some and Swordfish by others.

Latest Forum Topics