V10 Gen3 for a sub70kg paddler

More
2 years 8 months ago #38870 by Gibson
Hello. 

I test paddled a V10 gen3 and loved it.  Im concerned whether this is too much volume for me being 69kg and if so where will this be noticed? I.e. is it mostly in cross winds pushing the nose around? 
Thanks for your comments and advice.    
Iain. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #38871 by Steve Hansen
You'd probably feel more 'planted' in something like a Fenn Spark. Depends on your skill level and the conditions you paddle in. The V10 might feel 'corky' in big conditions or you might be fine. Hard to know. Are you rock solid in big conditions ?

More
2 years 8 months ago #38872 by Epicpaddler
I’m not sure I’m qualified to answer this as I’m 88kg, but the V10G3 is awesome. The only issue I have (since I’m heavy) is the low side rails in the cockpit. Any side chop can get in easily. The bow on the g3 is much lower than the g2 and I haven’t noticed any windage issues. 

Have you tried the V10L?

More
2 years 8 months ago #38873 by Gibson
Hi Guys, thanks for the reply. 

Steve I currently paddle an elite ski and want something I can enjoy more in the bigger ocean downwinds, hence V10. 

I paddled the V10L today and its a beautiful boat but just that bit more tippy so feel its unsuitable for my current aims for this next boat, or at least not as well suited as the V10 (GEN3).

Is there anyone out there 70kg ish in a V10 that can comment?

Fabulous forum thanks guys. 

More
2 years 8 months ago #38886 by tve
Replied by tve on topic V10 Gen3 for a sub70kg paddler
I weigh 72kg +/- 2kg swing and paddle a V10g3 and a V12g2. I use the V10 primarily in bigger conditions or when the water is cold to have a little bit more safety margin. I find the boat really easy to remount and I haven't found it to be corky or more difficult to point into the wind and waves than other surfskis. It surfs really nicely and is more nimble than a V12. It's biggest fault are the low side rails as epicpaddler mentioned. If I try to jump over a wave and fail I get swamped in the V10 while things stay much drier in a V12 in similar situations. Also, the seat in the V10 is really too wide for me while the V12's fits just right.

More
2 years 8 months ago #38888 by Gibson
Thankyou so much for your reply, great to hear some experience from a similar weight paddler. 

I will only occasionally get into ocean downwinds so water over the side won't be a significant issue for me. 

Surprised the V10 bucket feels roomy to you.. Im pretty skinny and though it was like a glove. Maybe I dont have enough experience to know what 'right' feels like.  Thanks again for the comments.  

More
2 years 8 months ago #38889 by tve
Replied by tve on topic V10 Gen3 for a sub70kg paddler
The V10g3 bucket is great in the flat, it's when you get into rough water that the fun begins... Specifically, when paddling upwind at an angle the side to side rolling of the boat causes me to slide a bit to the lower side, which enhances the rolling.,,

More
2 years 7 months ago #38898 by CrabStick
Hi Gibson,
There's nothing like a bit more time in the bucket to decide if it's going to be comfortable for you in rougher conditions.
If you're going for a 2 ski strategy then it's worth considering something a little more stable so the V9 could really fit the brief and I think it has a slightly tighter bucket than the V10. Mark Sundin's (Expedition Kayaks) video review will discuss the difference. It's detailed, pretty objective and with a high froth factor!
There are many alternatives in the high intermediate to sub elite range. Those that include skis specifically for lighter paddlers are the Nelo ML versions (eg 540 or 550), plus the Nordic Kayaks Storm and Squall both come in 2 lengths to cater for smaller paddlers. Carbonology Sport have the Low Volume version of the Boost. The Epic V10L mentioned above is in next category up.
I wish more of the big players (Epic, Fenn, Think, Stellar) would get some lower volume versions out for intermediate ocean  paddlers. I'm thinking a low volume SwordfishS around 5.7 to 5.9m long with a Spark bucket would be an absolute weapon!

CrabStick, Perth Western Australia
Current Boats: Epic V9 ultra, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn Spark S
Previous: Think Eze, Stellar SR, Carbonology Boost LV, Fenn BlueFin S

More
2 years 7 months ago #38901 by MaxB
Replied by MaxB on topic V10 Gen3 for a sub70kg paddler
You have SO read my mind on that one, i’d be Fenn’s first customer for a low volume Swordfish. Agree around 5.8m long would be awesome - basically a tuned up XTS.

More
2 years 7 months ago #38934 by feeny
I weigh 72kg and extensively paddled both a v10g3 and Nordic Storm 570

I ended up buying a storm, which for my backside was a bit more comfortable. It is also a fair bit lighter (weighs like 9kg?) too than a red tip v10.

More
2 years 7 months ago #38935 by Atlas
HI Feeny. Does the Storm 570 have enough volume for you in rough downwind conditions?

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

Latest Forum Topics