Prolonged cold's (+5*C to -25*C) effect on carbon skis

More
6 years 6 months ago #30170 by SurfskiEstonia
Dear forum members,

I have a carbon-kevlar surfski from Nelo (WWR construction) and a full carbon slalom kayak, which I may be forced to store in an old ship container on-land for the winter.

Our winters are generally around -10*C to 0*C, with a few weeks of -15*C and a few day of -25*C.

Do You think it poses a danger to the integrity of the materials or the seams? Should I definitely get them inside? Really interested in your thoughts! Thanks!!

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #30171 by agooding2
I've kept my fiberglass, Kevlar and carbon fiber canoes in an unheated garage during the winter in the northeast, upstate New York , where it regularly gets down to -25 degrees Fahrenheit and never had an issue. Plastic might have an issue if you flexed it when it was frozen, but never had an issue with those either.

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #30172 by MCImes
This has been discussed a lot on other forums, and the consensus is that composite boats have very little to worry about, temperature wise at least.
Plastic boats can cold-crack because plastic has a different rate of contraction/expansion vs aluminum or wood, but this is mostly applicable to north american open canoes which have gunwales made from a different material than the boat. Since most skis are single material (meaning composite/wood/metal. Obviously the composite group covers different cloths)

I have a SR advantage as well as 2 kevlar american canoes that are stored in an unheated garage with no ill effects at colder temps, down to -10ish Fahrenheit

I'd say you should be fine.

Latest Forum Topics