Help - Intermediate ski for small paddler

More
12 years 1 month ago #11053 by owenw
My good ladywife has just sold her DD3 Australis as it was just too big for her, even with padding behind her in the bucket and the footboard hard back. She is about 153 cm (just over 5')and weighs around 54 Kg (120 lb). Again, because of her petite size, she needs a small and lightish ski to handle off the water. She wants to use it for fitness training (mainly in sheltered waters).
Only just starting the search but find it very limited - currently looking at the Think Eze or Epic V8 (in the lighter layups). Opinions welcomed.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #11059 by AR_convert
Hmmm, the hybrid lay-up of the Vault comes in at just over 12kg, it's low volume means it doesn't get pushed around in any side chop and it is quite easy to handle off the water at 5.9m long. The bucket is cosy so may suit her size.

It is at the upper end of Intermediate skis though, some have described it as twitchy compared to the swordfish but I have been paddling so much now that it feels like a canoe to me ;)

Haven't seen the Carbonology Zest, but from what I hear it is around the same performance as the Evo II.

I see from your profile pic you paddle a Stellar, what is the SR model like?

I was telling my brother to buy an Australis for his first ski, looked ideal.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by AR_convert.

More
12 years 1 month ago #11061 by Stew
Have had a lady at 5'1" paddle the Eze on the shortest setting, no problems. Another at 5'2" actually had room to move back on the rails. We can also adjust the rails to pull them back a little is required.

If I can help with arranging a demo, just let me know.

Cheers,

Stew.

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #11118 by owenw

AR_convert wrote:
I see from your profile pic you paddle a Stellar, what is the SR model like?

I was telling my brother to buy an Australis for his first ski, looked ideal.

The Stellar SR is a beautifully built ski, best rock solid footboard/pedal system about, extremely stable (similar to my Nordkapp sea-kayak) yet deceptively quick; it doesn't feel that fast until you check the GPS! Mine is in the "Advantage" layup and weighs in at a exactly 16.0 Kg (on my accurate digital scales) complete ready to paddle including paddle leash and leg leash and GPS fitting.
The Aussie built DD3 Australis is also a good ski and marginally quicker (for me) on glassy/still water. However, when the chop comes in, the SR is quicker (again for me) - the Australis weighed about a kilo less.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself