V12 to K1 what to expect.....

More
12 years 1 week ago #11327 by candela
I'm probably going to be moving soon and I won't have anywhere to store my V12 due to lack of garage space and no backyard but I would likely be able to fit a 5.2m k1 in the garage. I won't need to sell the V12 because I can store it at my parents place for weekend training and racing in the ocean.

At the moment I train 4-5 days a week on the V12. 3 of those days are on flat canals due to location and the weekends are in the ocean. I've been paddling the V12 performance for almost 2 years now and don't feel I have too much of a problem with stability. I don't want my fitness to slip when I move, and still being very close to the water I'd still want to train on water rather than an ergo.

I've never paddled a K1 before and I'd be interested in opinions on what to expect in regards to speed and stability levels in relation to a v12 or equivalent.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #11329 by Rob1
The k1 will feel tippy at first however you will get use to it after a few paddles. Regarding the speed alot of Paddlers seem to believe ocean skis are just as fast as the k1's but they are not. On a flat water 10km distance coarse my best times in the k1 are around 3mins
quicker then paddling the skis(v12 and fenns). Once you master the k1 you will find the stability of the ski will be like paddling a barge. Thanks Rob

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #11330 by Edge540
K1 will be way more tipier. Also it has higher seating position.
Far as speeds...on slower pace there is not much difference.
Top speed...K1 is faster (on flat water)
If you can paddle comfortable in V12 it should not be too bad to
get used to K1. You might swim few times, but with practice you
should be able adapt to it fairly quickly.
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by Edge540.

More
12 years 1 week ago #11332 by candela
Thanks for the input guys. At first I was a bit concerned about losing time on the v12 but it seems like spending some time in a K1 might be an advantage in developing better stability skills.

I did a bit more searching and it seems Greg Barton rates the V12, not sure what version, about the same speed as Epics K1 legacy , but states the k1 would be slightly slower for an intermediate paddler due to stability.

Also is the seating position more comfortable? Do people have similar problems with seats, as with skis? I tried a few skis before I found one that was comfortable.

Thanks

More
12 years 1 week ago #11333 by Edge540
Most K1 seats are adjustable to move forward and backwards and
also height and angle. Far as comfort... it varies. In my sprint
racing days out of the boats I owned (Van Dusen Eagle 1, Cleaver X,
Nelo Scorpion) Nelo had the most comfortable seat for me. It is
individual preference, just like surfski. We are all built differently.

More
12 years 1 week ago #11339 by latman
Ignore my ramblings but the ski seat is a lot larger area which will "spread the load" better , BUT in a standard K1 you generally sit 6-8cm above your heels and that is a more efficient paddling position IMO (higher=better) In most ocean skis the seat is on the bottom for maximum stability for non paddlers but that means your abdominal muscles must work to keep your torso upright instead of foward propulsion. basically I think K1 is tippier and faster (and flat water only) I think you will be well served to have a K1 at home during the week in the Canal and V12 with a seat pad (if possible) on the weekends Candela

More
12 years 1 week ago #11343 by Seaweedbath
aside from the stability issue ..theres most likely the switch from pedal-steering to tiller bar steering which (aside from many ZA K boats) is the norm. So you can focus more on a push with the balls of your feet.

Kicking these tiller bars around dynamically for example on washes, tends to raise blisters on the sides of the feet so barefoot paddling can become more painful...light wetshoes are good idea to save your feet.

A good pull bar mounted on the footrest probably offers even more grip than pull straps.

More
12 years 1 week ago #11349 by candela
Thanks for all the feedback.

I might have to try the pad on the seat in my V12 like you mentioned Latman, see how it feels stability wise and for paddling efficiency.

As for the K1. It's good to hear that it will be just as good if not better for my weekly training if I end up buying a place with limited storage.

Thanks again

More
12 years 1 week ago #11366 by gstamer
Candela,

I bought an old K1 early last summer, and then a V12 a few months later. The V12 feels like a pontoon boat in comparison (it has much more stability).

I find it helpful to train in both the K1 and the V12, they complement each other.

The K1 feels solid and fast for me now, but it took awhile, even though I have been paddling skinny kayaks for years. I blogged my initial reactions to trying a K1 and you might find them interesting or entertaining: www.gregstamer.com/2012/01/11/k1-first-impressions .

Greg Stamer