Epic V8 One Month Review

More
10 years 8 months ago #17992 by foundwood
Please check out my video summary of my first month with the new Epic V8:

The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected], YBA/Jim Murray, seamonkey, Carcharodon, ligtvoet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stanton
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #17998 by Stanton
Replied by Stanton on topic Epic V8 One Month Review
It is a great boat for sure. I love mine and once I finally got my wife into it from her kayak I fear that I may have lost it to her. Thanks for the review.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18002 by [email protected]
Excellent review.

Anything you didn't like about the boat/any improvements you could suggest?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
10 years 8 months ago #18006 by foundwood
Replied by foundwood on topic Epic V8 One Month Review
Things I don't like?

I know that there are always trade-offs in terms of design, but I would like it if the boat wasn't quite so much of a bobber and more of a piercer when heading upwind in rough seas. This seems to be a function of short length and high volume. I am not comfortable enough in rough seas in my V12 and V10, so the V8 is my best compromise.

The drainage plug is inverted from the factory and can be knocked open during rough handling in remounts. Easy enough to flip it over.

The footplate cut-out for a drinking tube is great, but there is no way to anchor a drinking system without screwing or gluing a retainer to the back side of the plate. This is why I didn't mention it in my review. It is a big question mark for me and something I will work hard to resolve.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18007 by steveb
Replied by steveb on topic Epic V8 One Month Review
Good comments, nice video review.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18008 by foundwood
Replied by foundwood on topic Epic V8 One Month Review
I had the first generation V8 in performance layup and I liked the planted feel of the heavier construction, but I did not care for the lack of hull speed or the feeling of sluggishness during the runs. The new V8 is a completely different animal when you combine the reduced rocker with the light weight of the Ultra construction. It picks up runs like you have another gear in the transmission.

The first iteration was a good boat. I just feel like the new version is much better.

Latest Forum Topics