newbie numb legs

More
9 years 11 months ago #20599 by jonny250
newbie numb legs was created by jonny250
I have an Epic V8 and have been out about a dozen times now - totally novice ski paddler but i have been surfing a waveski for years.
I have an issue with getting numb legs after about 30 minutes; i've read the threads on here about sit-bones and nerves and seat padding and have fitted a kayak type seat pad, here's the link:
www.kirtonkayaks.co.uk/home/index.php/sh...op-seat/110-seat-pad

but i still get numb legs. maybe the seat isnt exactly right.
I would be grateful if anyone can offer any other wisdom/experience on what i can try. at the moment i have to stop and hang my legs over the side every 30/20/10 minutes to keep my legs from sleeping...
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ole
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #20620 by Ole
Replied by Ole on topic newbie numb legs
Hi Jonny250,

I often clamped a nerve when paddling and had awful pain through the left leg, I changed the leg length (experimented to find the right spot) and the pain is gone. It's not the optimal length now but I get used to it and rather paddle with fun then with pain.

Maybe worth a try.

Ole

More
9 years 11 months ago #20622 by jonny250
Replied by jonny250 on topic newbie numb legs
thanks Ole, i hadn't thought of adjusting the leg length; i will give that a try...

More
9 years 11 months ago #20624 by akirker
Replied by akirker on topic newbie numb legs
More bent legs got rid of it for me
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonny250

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #20626 by Davidw
Replied by Davidw on topic newbie numb legs
The first time I gave paddling a try I gave up after a few months because of constant dead legs. But I was given a piece of advice then which I never tried at the time, because I was sceptical, but came back to when I tried again and had the same problem. I use it now on all boats I paddle as it works so well.

It simply involves glueing a strip of closed cell foam down the middle of your seat. Use a piece about 20cm long, 6cm wide and about 1cm thick. Fix it so the length of the foam is aligned with the length of the ski (so that it lifts and separates your butt cheeks) feels a little odd at first but you quickly get used to it and I no longer notice it.

Worth a try. Costs next to nothing. I used a piece of the self adhesive foam that you by at the hardware store. Once I was sure i had it in the right position I contact glued it in.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Davidw.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20627 by Davidw
Replied by Davidw on topic newbie numb legs
Forgot to say that it works when glued to the hull or on top of a butt pad.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20630 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic newbie numb legs
You got it, think like a bicycle seat and take the weight of the sit bones, all my seats are designed to spread the load, just did 5hours 45mins today in the Swordfish, no sore but or numb legs what so ever.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20633 by jonny250
Thanks guys, i will shorten the footplate length and will look again at my seat arrangement...

More
9 years 10 months ago #20948 by jonny250
Well i managed to get out yesterday and managed 12 miles without any numbness :) Happy days!
I added the strip of foam down the centre of the seat + an extra layer of foam and its worked.
Thanks for the advice!

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
9 years 10 months ago #20978 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic newbie numb legs
I find that raising the seat (just add foam under your butt) can immediately fix the problem.

Shorter legs greatly help too - and promote pushing with legs.

BUT… try this too:
For 5 days, do not even bend your elbows while paddling. This will force torso / hips movement. Now work your heels to push with the right leg when paddling on your right, and vice-versa. Since your legs will work, circulation will also be encouraged.

This usually happens when we turn 40+++++++ LOL

PS. Resume normal paddling technique later, but still continue to always use your hips / legs

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #21028 by Selkie
Replied by Selkie on topic newbie numb legs
Hi Jonny

As you know, I doing some long distance training paddles in prep for the Alderney crossing. I never noticed any pain until I pushed pretty hard for 30 miles and had another 35 miles to go in considerable pain. This is often sciatic nerve problem. You have already had some good advice on here. Never heard of the foam strip down the middle, I might try that too.

Here are some links on the condition and ways to improve it through exercises.

www.ebtc.ie/painful-numb-legs-when-kayaking-2-exercises/

Perhaps a better one here:

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Selkie.

More
9 years 10 months ago #21056 by jonny250
Thanks for the suggestions on the exercises Ian. i have 5 lower back vertibrae bolted together so am a bit wary of some of those stretches, but i can see the idea. I'm trying hard to work on the leg push whilst paddling as has been suggested, hopefully that will also help.
I had a couple of requests for info on my seat now, so here are some pictures. The central foam piece is about 40mm wide and the blue foam is just camping mat foam. i used double sided carpet tape to fix it and its pretty solid!
The seat itself is from Kirton Kayaks.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selkie

More
9 years 10 months ago #21057 by Selkie
Replied by Selkie on topic newbie numb legs
Thanks Jonny. I will try something similar. As I said, I noticed never had a problem until pushing hard non stop for 30 to 40 miles. I think I must have a sciatica problem. Mind you, I think our planned min of 18 hours crossing well test the sitting position of anyone.

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021

Latest Forum Topics