Another new sit on top K1/Ski hybrid from ski manufacturer

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #34277 by uk gearmuncher
Looks like Epic have now brought a sit on top K1.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=epic+k1t&sourc...imgrc=9M8AcF0GkvE6SM:

Looks interesting. This coupled with the recent Nelo Viper 46 Surfski gives us some good winter training options of safer boats to use on your own.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by uk gearmuncher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34278 by [email protected]
Hmm... my understanding was that the K1T was something of a one-off/experiment - a surfski deck on the Epic Legacy K1 hull.  

I've asked Epic for more info as to whether this is actually in production.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #34281 by uk gearmuncher
It is available. Our Epic distributor had them at a ski event last weekend. I'm now getting a demo boat from them late next week. Its the Legacy XXL hull with the V14 bucket. Mind you, that's 42.5cm wide. That sounds tippy......

More
4 years 10 months ago #34282 by [email protected]

It is. I'm now getting a demo boat late next week. Its the Legacy XXL hull with the V14 bucket.

Awesome!  Review, please!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago #34283 by uk gearmuncher

robin.mousley wrote:

It is. I'm now getting a demo boat late next week. Its the Legacy XXL hull with the V14 bucket.

I'll be amazed if I can even stay in that. Mind you, I'm tempted to buy either this (probably too narrow) or the Nelo Viper 56 surfski (probably too wide).

• Jef58
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago #34284 by Jef58
The Nelo is a 46, which still is tippy if it's a true K1 hull. I hope this trickles down to boats I can paddle...like K1 trainers.

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #34287 by uk gearmuncher

Jef58 wrote: The Nelo is a 46, which still is tippy if it's a true K1 hull. I hope this trickles down to boats I can paddle...like K1 trainers.

Here’s a question though. I’m looking at getting a second boat for flat water/winter training. I’d like a small boat for practicality so the epic k1t or the Nelo 46 really appeals. I’m 6ft 3 and 89kg so maybe I should go for volume like the Nelo 550 ski. Is a k1 trainer sit on top going to be faster than that ski ? Or more obviously, is the Nelo viper 46 ski going to be faster than the 550 surfski which is also 46cm wide ? (But has a k1 hull yet length)

• Jef58
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago #34289 by Jef58
Good question that I don't know, I would expect the K1/46 to be faster than the 550. If not, there would be no advantage to producing it. Like you, I would love a K1 trainer hull in a sot as an alternative to the ski....hence the reason I posted the question about the Nelo 520. This is dipping into K1 territory but hopefully someone here has experience with comparisons between ski's and K1's.

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago #34290 by uk gearmuncher

Jef58 wrote: Good question that I don't know, I would expect the K1/46 to be faster than the 550. If not, there would be no advantage to producing it. Like you, I would love a K1 trainer hull in a sot as an alternative to the ski....hence the reason I posted the question about the Nelo 520. This is dipping into K1 territory but hopefully someone here has experience with comparisons between ski's and K1's.

I think the intended markets are different. The question is, is an extra 30cm of length of the 550 worth more in speed than a K1 hull on the other ?

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #34320 by uk gearmuncher

robin.mousley wrote: I've asked Epic for more info as to whether this is actually in production.

It's now launched in Japan:

www.epickayaks.jp/2019/01/k1t.html

I'm not sure if that's a leak as its not on the Epic site yet or anyone else on the net I can find. I'm waiting to hear back if I'll be seeing one tomorrow. Hell, I'd buy one on looks alone but at that width its going to need some serious bucket time for me !

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #34333 by uk gearmuncher

robin.mousley wrote:

I just got it. My one is a prototype apparently. Looks amazing. When I say I just got it, I just got into it........ and then just fell out of it. It's tippy ! (but the usual quality of Epic finish - even being a prototype).

Latest Forum Topics