Maui coach

More
4 years 3 months ago #35864 by mickeyA
Maui coach was created by mickeyA
Is there a school, program, or coach on Maui that specializes in DW, specifically Maliko?  I’ve paddled skis for 12 yrs, most recently on V10Sport, SF S and V12 g1 and done the Gorge race the last 3 years (SF S) .  I live in SE USA, so not much regular downwinding.  I want to spend a week learning and enjoying Maliko.  I would have to have a guide set up before I traveled (vs just winging it), for at least the first few runs.  Then, I would be paddling solo, so would need a group to go with after learning.  Is there an organized school (like Mockes in SA) or guides there?  Regular groups that welcome newcomers?  I’ve asked MPH but no answer yet.  Are there reasonable weekly ski rentals (like at Gorge)?  Ultimately, I would like to paddle M2M, probably on another trip.  Would love to get “certified”, so to speak, for the race since I have no way to qualify via the races MPH requires.  I know it is tough for mainlanders to get in anyway (50 spots?).  When is the best time to learn Maliko, not out of control, not flat, just good?  Thank you.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon
The following user(s) said Thank You: tve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35866 by downwinda
Replied by downwinda on topic Maui coach
Kai Bartlett runs downwind outrigger camps, and, now that he's in the surfski design business, I'm sure he would have no problem including skis.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35869 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Maui coach

mickeyA wrote: Is there a school, program, or coach on Maui that specializes in DW, specifically Maliko?

Kai.    kaiclinics.com/

Mike Owens.   (843) 359-1193
Dale Ponsford.   www.malikorun.com/maliko-surfski-guide/

I’ve paddled skis for 12 yrs, most recently on V10Sport, SF S and V12 g1 and done the Gorge race the last 3 years (SF S) .  I live in SE USA, so not much regular downwinding.  I want to spend a week learning and enjoying Maliko.  I would have to have a guide set up before I traveled (vs just winging it), for at least the first few runs.
The coaches can help you with the local group paddles/shuttle.  It varies with the season, but you should have no problem finding someone to help you with your first run.  As everyone knows, you don't want to do it solo your first time.  There are a few visual cues you will need to be aware of.   

Then, I would be paddling solo, so would need a group to go with after learning.  Is there an organized school (like Mockes in SA) or guides there?  Regular groups that welcome newcomers?
We have a shuttle.  it runs all year.  Kai, Mike or Dale can explain it to you.

I’ve asked MPH but no answer yet.
You may not get a response.  They are all busy now, their races started recently.  

Are there reasonable weekly ski rentals (like at Gorge)?
Richard Spork.  808 283 5459.   Richard is usually on the board of directors at MPH.  He also sells Epic skis, so he's a good one to contact about the Maliko scene.  

Ultimately, I would like to paddle M2M, probably on another trip.  Would love to get “certified”, so to speak, for the race since I have no way to qualify via the races MPH requires.  I know it is tough for mainlanders to get in anyway (50 spots?).  When is the best time to learn Maliko, not out of control, not flat, just good?
Summer.  The guys can help you with that.  

Thank you.

Glad to help.  PM me with your plans as they develop.  We have a run on the south shore that occasionally has better conditions than Maliko.  I can help you with that one.  That's another run you will not want to do without talking to someone.

downwind dilettante

More
4 years 3 months ago #35870 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Maui coach
Wow.  That’s good to hear. I was beginning to lose hope that I could make it happen.  I will reach out to Kai, Dale, and Mike for camp or guide info and Richard for rentals.  I assume Maliko is best a certain time of year and since M2M race is April that best time is winter and spring?  Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I may look to come out late April after M2M.  Thank you very much.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
4 years 3 months ago #35871 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Maui coach
Winter is not the best time to learn Maliko.  The NW swells can be rugged to navigate.  Summer is the best season for Maliko runs.  That's when the East trades are best- which sets up the best swells.  NW swells cross things up and make the run very technical.  It can also be dangerous in some areas.

M2M is kinda early in the downwind season. MPH races are what we call the "one man" season. That's winter.  It's mainly for the six man people to ramp up their condition for the "regatta' season.  That's the spring.  Then comes the "distance" season.  That's summer.  That's when things really get going for long downwinders and channels.  

I think Dale does a package deal for maliko, he's a world class coach.  He's fixed me up real  good.  
Kai of course is a legend here on Maui.  Mike is also a great coach.  Richard is also a great reference to the north shore scene.  I'd contact them to gradually get some info and develop a plan.   Summer is best for wind and great conditions.  June, July, August.  

downwind dilettante

Latest Forum Topics