Sisson Evolution Omega

More
14 years 1 month ago #4253 by Zarb
Sisson Evolution Omega was created by Zarb
I am curious as to what makes a multisport kayak a multisport kayak, and the advantages it would have over a surf ski in a multisport race?

I started paddling on a regular basis primarily to improve my adventure racing times, but I have gotten so swept up in only paddling that I forgot my original purpose!

So I am already looking ahead at my next kayak, and someone told me to have a look at the Sisson Evolution Omega if I wanted something AR specific. Would this be faster than my Mako6 under certain conditions? Is it worth having an enclosed deck over long distances, or would it not really make a difference on flat water with minimal chance of getting too wet (other than spray from paddle stroke). I can do some little converting of my Mako6 to fit a map and deck compass. Other than that, how would a specific "multisport" kayak serve me better?

You have to forgive me, I am a bike guru but kayaks are uncharted territory for me. My AR races are anywhere from 6 hours to 24 hours, with the kayak legs varying. But they normally take up about 10-20% of the distance/time of the total race.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4254 by [email protected]
I have to confess that I don't know anything about multi-sport kayaking, but I'm guessing that it might involve going down rivers?

You don't want to take a standard surfski down a river because the layup is not designed for coming into contact with rocks. However there are manufacturers who build river layups (added kevlar, rubber, inset scuppers).

I can't see how a kayak could be as fast as a LD surfski - but I'm open to correction!

From the sound of it, MS Kayaks are relatively stable - which might allow you to, for example, consult a map without falling out!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #4255 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:Sisson Evolution Omega
Zarb, the speed of the kayaks like the Sisson Evolution will be the same as the fastest LD skis. The other differences between the two would primarily be in comfort, what you can carry with you in the boat, ease of getting in or out of the boat, portaging ease, - and safety.

A decade ago, LD skis were a bear to sit in for long periods of time, but the manufacturers have pretty much solved that for the majority of us. So, in "the old days", one could probably have found more comfort in a AR kayak compared to a LD ski.

Storage on a AR kayak is pretty good I would think, so you could stuff your pack behind the seat and have it low and protected. On a ski, you would have had to bungee it to the deck or put it in a aftermarket port that you created - for the old style dual footwell skis. On the newer skis - and if you're not too tall - there's ample room in front of the footboard for some stuff and you could shove the rest under bungees or into the hull via a port hole. Kind of depends on how much you're carrying.

Getting in and out of the boat from the water would be easier and more foolproof on a ski - assuming a less than perfect success rate in rolling a kayak. On a river, the ski would be far better to have if you dump - and there is no sprayskirt that is going to stay on for every wave, keep all the water out, and be easy to get into and out of. I've taken an LD ski down rivers through much riskier lines than I'd consider taking a closed kayak down only because the penalty for failure in a ski is pretty low, i.e. you jump back on and keep paddling whereas if you come out of your kayak, it fills with water and stands a real chance of folding in half. Entrance and egress from land would be about the same given the Evolution's smaller cockpit openings.

It's easier to portage a kayak than a ski because the AR kayak has more edges to grab onto and might be a few lbs lighter for the same degree of durability.

So, in summary, I would guess that the AR kayaks are still favored if you're transporting a bigger load, anticipate longer portages, or want the traditional "AR look". Otherwise, I'd use a single footwell ski that you're comfortable in.
ERik
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by nell. Reason: just because I can. .

More
14 years 1 month ago #4256 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:Sisson Evolution Omega
See the forum on boats in wa with the link to the carbonology.
Apparently it comes with a surf rudder and a trailing rudder and at 3500 for a kevlar version sounds like good value. They seem to go like the clappers too. If you can paddle and remount a mako6 you wouldn't have too much trouble in this boat. I think the site was www.vivapaddlesports.com.au