Stucturally Sound

• Kenny S
  • Visitor
14 years 3 weeks ago #4284 by Kenny S
Stucturally Sound was created by Kenny S
I've read some entries about Epic built in China,that there are some issues with it being stucturally sound.(Epic, does have a one year warranty), I was thinking about getting a V12!
Versus...Fenn,what kind of warranty does Fenn have on their Elites? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 3 weeks ago #4287 by pilbaralad
Replied by pilbaralad on topic Re:Stucturally Sound
There are some interesting posts in the "How good are stellar ski's" thread from an Epic Rep

www.surfski.info/index.php?option=com_ku...6&limitstart=24#3791

www.surfski.info/index.php?option=com_ku...6&limitstart=54#3859

What I take from what I've read is that the original chinese factory (flying eagle) had trouble with product consistency, :unsure: eventually leading to the parting of ways

My V10 Sport came from the first factory and presented beautifully after 12 months of a lot of use , some of that in biggish conditions, so I must have got one of the good ones :) ...while a guy who I paddle with has a V10L with yellow "stains" through the fibreglass from what is thought to be not unreasonable exposure to sunlight :huh: , so while not a structure issue, not ideal for boats that see a lot of sunlight downunder :S

Any product that goes into mass production as Epic have done has to have great quality control or the brand suffers very quickly, especially in the tight knit Ocean Racing Community.

It would have been handy to title this thread..."what structural issues and or warranty claims have people had", that way we could get to know just what is the truth of what is happening with these suspect boats, otherwise it does nothing to teach and inform consumers.

As I am within days/weeks of outlaying quite a few dollars on a new boat I will follow with great interest ;)

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4326 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Stucturally Sound
I learnt today the Think Kayaks have a 2 year warranty. They also have an inspection port which allows tape to be applied to the inside seam, which helps with seam strength so I am led to belive?

This would be where it would be good for those that know about boat building to lend us thier wisdom about materials, seam tape and what us newbies should look for in new boats :S

Always looking for the next boat :)

• Kenny S
  • Visitor
14 years 3 weeks ago #4329 by Kenny S
Replied by Kenny S on topic Re:Stucturally Sound
(I narrowed my search for a V12) Thanks for your info!

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4331 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Stucturally Sound
:( Check previous threads and you may get an idea of the integrity of thinks "warrenty"