Diary of an injured Adventure Racer - AC Joint

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #4901 by AR_convert
Well my fast improving paddling has come to an abrupt halt :(

Had a rather big mishap on Sunday, competing in a 4 hour Mountain Bike enduro when I failed to land a technical jump and went over the bars. :ohmy:

Tried to roll as best I could but landed on the tip of my right shoulder and "pop" :blink: there goes my AC joint. :blush:

Met with the surgeon today and he agreed that as I am very keen to get back to paddling/swimming etc as quickly as possible he would surgically fix the Type 3 dislocation/seperation. See Pic below.

and for the not so squeemish this shows exactly what I am having done tomorrow night . (plated and screwed)

Will keep you posted on how the recovery goes

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #4902 by Moll
Ouch, best of luck with the recovery.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

More
13 years 8 months ago #4905 by AndrewN
Best to do it straight away Iused to ride DH MTB and also semi seperated my AC and never had it repaired. My whole back and body is very uneven now to compensate and I must get it fixed!

More
13 years 8 months ago #4906 by [email protected]
Eish - strength to you for your recovery...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 8 months ago #4908 by Rightarmbad
I too have suffered this from an MTB accident many years ago, hence the rightarmbad moniker.

I never had surgery and the pain got worse and worse, until one day I went for a paddle and it just disappeared.

The only real effect now apart from the lump in my shoulder, is a slight loss of power in some movements. 10-15% ?
Sometimes when paddling I get a numb hand from the nerves being pinched, usually means I didn't take care to set the feather angle properly.
As a bonus, I now have much more shoulder flexibility for swimming, but the loss of power sort of negates it and overall I go slower.
I have seen some really bad outcomes from surgery and one really great outcome from surgery in others I have met with this condition.
It seems to be very important to get straight into weight exercises as soon as the initial healing has started.

Hope you have a good outcome.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #4919 by AR_convert
Well the op went well, shoulder starting to settle down thanks to copious amounts of opiates :woohoo: Have to rest it for two weeks then have it reviewed. Will keep you posted.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by AR_convert.

More
13 years 8 months ago #4920 by Rightarmbad
So is that just temporary metal until a grafted in ligament takes hold?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 8 months ago #4921 by beejay65
Hope you have a speedy recovery AR. I did my wrist and two ribs on the MTB last year. Being injured sucks! :angry:

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #4922 by AR_convert
Rightarmbad wrote:

So is that just temporary metal until a grafted in ligament takes hold?

From what I remember him saying yes, it will be in for about 6-12 months? After that it's a case of seeing how stable the joint will be, if it does become unstable then they start looking at a grafted or synthetic ligament. The plan with this op is that by forcing the torn ligaments back against one another they will knit together and hold once the plate is removed.

Thanks Beejay, was trying to save the wrist by rolling (which has worked for me once on a road bike) but it seems I used up my luck then.

More
13 years 8 months ago #4923 by Rightarmbad
I wish I was offered an option like that when I did mine.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #4930 by AR_convert
Black dog came sniffing at my door yesterday :( .....put it down to detoxing from all the powerful painkillers (had enough of feeling sluggish) :S and the frustration of no physical activity. :angry: Very determined not to gain weight and to keep a positive perspective. Went online for some retail therapy and ordered a Kurt Kinetic fluid resistance trainer for my bike so as soon as I get the go ahead from the surgeon I can start cycling indoors. :) Surgeon wants me to stay off the road/mountain bikes for a couple of months. Also looking forward to some hydrotherapy to get the lats working again, they are bloody sore from next to no movement.

More
13 years 8 months ago #4931 by beejay65
I know that feeling all too well AR! Good move on getting the windtrainer happening, it'll help getting those endorphins flowing again and stop the black dog turning into a great big black bear!!!!

The only advise I can give you is don't rush the recovery. It's always a balanceing act between doing enough to keep the muscles etc from turning to mush and not injurying yourself further. Good luck.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #4944 by AR_convert
Well one week on and daily life away from training is starting to return to normal, can drive, dress myself, etc etc just end up sore at the end of the day and sleeping is another matter, woken several times per night when I roll the wrong way :ohmy:

Decided to start arranging a Vet's team to replace my solo Anaconda Adventure Race Solo entry in November.

I am going to focus on the run and get 3 other vets (40+) for the other legs and see how we go about getting on the podium. ;)

Off to a good start with Martin Gunda of Bunbury doing the ocean paddle, just gotta secure a good swimmer and mountain biker....I've got mountain bikers queuing up to do it but they're under the vet age bracket at the moment.

If I can manage to get a good Vet's team together to challenge at the top end that will go some way to curbing my disappointment at not competing as a solo B)

Update: tonight had one of the states top vets mountain bikers come onboard, just a swimmer to go :woohoo:

More
13 years 8 months ago #4951 by thebigadski
Hey Brett

Hope u have yr entry in already, as entries have closed until the final 2 weeks where they may have limited spots left!

not bad...........600 entries 3 months out!

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #4956 by AR_convert
Yeah, I entered as a solo within days of the entries opening, so just a matter of converting entry to a team. ;)

Back to see the Surgeon tomorrow, hopefully for an all clear to start rehab and training :woohoo:

EDIT 11/08 - Email back from rapidascent, all good to enter a team (which we got a swimmer for today) so it's full steam ahead :woohoo:

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #4962 by AR_convert
Thanks for the PM's and messages of support from those of you who have been through this and similar surgery, good to know others have been through this and are back doing what they love.

Saw the Surgeon today. He is happy with progress, have good alignment and range of movement (ROM) without any impingement (catching or trapping of nerves) during shoulder movement.

So the prognosis is excellent. :)

Next 6 weeks I am allowed to run & indoor cycle (doesnt want me to risk injury cycling outdoors), I am allowed to gently stretch to improve ROM, but not exercise shoulder. After that 6 weeks he says I should be ready to start light swimming :woohoo:

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #4963 by AR_convert
thebigadski wrote:

Hey Brett

Hope u have yr entry in already, as entries have closed until the final 2 weeks where they may have limited spots left!

not bad...........600 entries 3 months out!

BTW, from what I hear the Avon could have been billed as an AR from all the running/walking/clamouring over rocks that was done!

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #4970 by AR_convert
My Kurt Kinetic (indoor cycling trainer) arrived at the post office today. :woohoo: So excited :laugh:

Got it home and set it up in front of the projector screen in the lounge, threw on the accompanying spinervals DVD and did an 80 minute workout. :)

Was great to have the endorphins flowing again despite my shouder throbbing :laugh:

I now feel like throwing up, probably having flushed all those drugs outta my system from the past few weeks :huh:

Thumbs up to the trainer, really is just like being on the road and is very quiet.

Probably spend a week just on the trainer before seeing how the shoulder handles the jolting of running again.

Edit - Another 110 minutes on the trainer today, getting the blood flowing again has been soo good for the body and mind and slept like a baby last night :)

Attachments:

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #4982 by AR_convert
Couldn't help myself, the weather was just so nice today ;)

After doing my volunteering duties marshalling at the Pinjarra Classic bike race got home and went out for an easy 7km beach run. :lol:

Figured running on the soft sand would limit the jolting of the shoulder.

Shoulder was pretty uncomfortable during the run but it was good to get the legs ticking over. The post run stretching was very welcome too. Shoulder pulled up pretty sore for an hour or so afterwards, but a few hours later and I'm feeling good. :)

Will give it another go mid week then hopefully back to full distance stuff by next weekend.

Shoulder seems to have plenty of range of movement to be good for paddle stroke movement, so it's just a matter of giving it time to heal. 5 weeks to go!

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #5080 by AR_convert
Talk about "Balance to your training week", since doing my shoulder and only being able to concentrate on running and cycling I have been battling leg problems :( ...

Seems I've been going out a bit hard now that I have all this extra time away from paddling and the pool.

Main problem has been hamstrings and in sympathy calf muscles which usually bear the brunt of tightness.

Funny, I had shaken these problems which I battled with during my triathlon days after I took up paddling,.. seems the paddling helped to keep my glutes, hammys and hence calves looser :)

Only 3 weeks now until I can return to paddling, shoulder has full ROM during stretching now so all is looking good :woohoo:

Latest Forum Topics