Ski Sling for Transport

More
12 years 10 months ago #7011 by Colnagodreaming
Am interested in designing a sling to carry my ski on one shoulder (leaving both hands free). Have several hundred metre walk to the beach, not excessive, but want to protect shoulders (and the ski in a high wind). :huh:

Thinking about design, I imaging the key would be to have the sling easily applied, comfortable over one shoulder with enough "securage" to prevent the 6 m length rotating around excessively.

Has anybody out there already done this and able to send photos or suggestions on types of material used and attachments or fastenings they employed. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7012 by mckengmsurfski

This is the guy who's done a version of one.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7013 by mckengmsurfski
Hmmm... Link didn't come up.

Here's the address anyway:
www.surfski.info/getting-started/tips-ot...-their-surfskis.html

More
12 years 10 months ago #7014 by AndrewN
Replied by AndrewN on topic Re:Ski Sling for Transport
Take this as lightly as I say it but...Google the Dusi Canoe Marathon and you will see why any SA paddler will laugh at this post!

More
More
12 years 10 months ago #7022 by Colnagodreaming
Thanks for the tips boys but :-

1. I don't speak french (and the link enclosed does not show the sling, but refers to Didier's blog, written not unreasonably in his mother tongue)

2. I want to carry a surfski, not a baby (Well, yes.....I suppose you could say the surfski is my baby in a manner of speaking)

Rob -could you provide some photos, if you have them of Didiers sling?

Cheers

More
12 years 10 months ago #7023 by mckengmsurfski
Why not just try and contact Didier directly via his blog? He might speak English...

More
12 years 10 months ago #7024 by Jean-Pierre
mckengmsurfski wrote:

Why not just try and contact Didier directly via his blog? He might speak English...

Yes, and he will be happy to give more informations.

You can check some pictures here:
"Carry-Sling at work": dplouepic.skyrock.com/2043546263-Le-CARRY-SLING-au-travail.html

Evolution from previous one: "the carry-leash": dplouepic.skyrock.com/2180467291-Carry-L...tion-deux-en-un.html

More
12 years 10 months ago #7025 by garykroukamp
I honestly think that baby carrier would work well. It would allow you to carry the boat easily on the hip. Useful for those with dodgy shoulders...

More
12 years 10 months ago #7027 by Colnagodreaming
Good suggestions - will follow up

More
12 years 10 months ago #7031 by AR_convert
Colnagodreaming wrote:

Good suggestions - will follow up

I initially thought the same thing when I saw the baby carrier Tom, but if the ledge part were stiff enough it could be a great way to carry it and it sits outta the way on your waist when you get in the ski....I'm thinking it could be good for some of our river races where there are several portages.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #7103 by Jack weaver
Hi,

i am currently in my last year of school and am undertaking a major design project that is a sling specifically for carrying surf skis. i will be able to post some photos of what stage i am up to currently in a few days, if you want, but the basic design is complete. If you are interested or you have any other people that would be interested it would be good to know because it would reinforce that i have a potential market for my product.

thanks

More
12 years 9 months ago #7104 by Colnagodreaming
By all means Jack, Post some photos- it may well be a product for which there will be quite a demand.

Even light weight skis are difficult to carry over distance due to their length. Heavy skis need no explaination. In these forums we talk technique and equipment and focus attention on these areas particularly. However many of us need to protect our shoulders + ski during transportation. :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #7111 by AR_convert
Just go ahead and get the Carbon Vault Tom, you know it makes sense :P then you know you can carry it the few hundred meters to the water and maybe, just maybe, you will have a chance of keeping up with me ;)

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #7114 by dplouepic
Hi Tom
i'm Didier Plouhinec.today i will write an article with pictures on my blog, in english, so you can see the carry-leash i've made. it is a sling which becomes a part of my ankle leash. like this you don't need to put your sling in a pocket of your PFD, no more risk to lose it.enjoy it

More
12 years 9 months ago #7121 by dplouepic
Hi Tom
Right now the articles are on my blog.i've added the pictures of the trolley i had built to tow my sea-kayak behind my bicyle. when i used it with the surfski i walked to the seashore as i was afraid to damage the rudder if i used the bicycle.if you still need more informations please let a post on the blog.
dplouepic.skyrock.com

More
12 years 9 months ago #7132 by Colnagodreaming
Merci Beaucoup Ma Frere ! :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #7133 by Colnagodreaming
oops. Mon Frere :unsure:

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #7149 by Jack weaver
this is my current design and is usually mounted across the body and is up to the user which way the surf ski faces(cockpit away from the body like in picture or cockpit on the body). it is kind of hard to see but it is basically a loop of strapping with a piece of padding attached
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Jack weaver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ilcentaurorosso

More
12 years 9 months ago #7151 by Rightarmbad
How does it go in the wind? How do you carry the paddle?

I'm only a 200m from my put in point but I have to go down a steep walkway and steps with a 90deg corner.
I'd love to be able to carry it down like this and leave the car in the garage.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics