× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Evo & Legend in comparison to the V10 & V10S

More
13 years 7 months ago #5167 by lost john
I now own a kevlar evo, carbon legend, and a vintage kev/carb red7 surf70.

Regarding Flatwater speed:
Since Think Boats hasn't responded to this thread I'll quote what designer Daryl R. told me two years ago, that the Legend has about 3% cruising speed over the Evo:
"… so at 10 kph in the Evo, your at about 10.3 in the Legend."

Regarding Stability:
I compared the Carbon Legend and V10S (don't recall the layup) in almost-flat conditions at Deep Cove in BC (a little power boat wake and breeze). The V10S wide seat and low initial stability surprised me with how tippy it made me feel, and I voted for the Legend there.

But later in Hawaii (thanks to Zsolt) I paddled a V10S in 3-4 ft directional swell and wind chop, sideways, upwind and downwind, and I thought it was great due to its high secondary stability. It felt a bit more comfortable there, than with my Evo in milder conditions on the Pacific Coast of Washington (at La Push). But of course there's the 30F water temp difference to mess with your head …

My opinion is in real surfski conditions, an intermediate paddler is far better off racing with a V10S or Evo, compared to a V10 or Legend. But I think for training it is great experience to get in a tippier boat on a regular basis. The junior team kids in our local flatwater sprint club are always switching back and forth between boats and seat heights. Problem is, you gotta have the boats to do it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5168 by lost john
I now own a kevlar evo, carbon legend, and a vintage kev/carb red7 surf70.

Regarding Flatwater speed:
Since Think Boats hasn't responded to this thread I'll quote what designer Daryl R. told me two years ago, that the Legend has about 3% cruising speed over the Evo:
"… so at 10 kph in the Evo, your at about 10.3 in the Legend."

Regarding Stability:
I compared the Carbon Legend and V10S (don't recall the layup) in almost-flat conditions at Deep Cove in BC (a little power boat wake and breeze). The V10S wide seat and low initial stability surprised me with how tippy it made me feel, and I voted for the Legend there.

But later in Hawaii (thanks to Zsolt) I paddled a V10S in 3-4 ft directional swell and wind chop, sideways, upwind and downwind, and I thought it was great due to its high secondary stability. It felt a bit more comfortable there, than with my Evo in milder conditions on the Pacific Coast of Washington (at La Push). But of course there's the 30F water temp difference to mess with your head …

My opinion is in real surfski conditions, an intermediate paddler is far better off racing with a V10S or Evo, compared to a V10 or Legend. But I think for training it is great experience to get in a tippier boat on a regular basis. The junior team kids in our local flatwater sprint club are always switching back and forth between boats and seat heights. Problem is, you gotta have the boats to do it!

More
13 years 7 months ago #5169 by Cstoff
Thanks AR, you're a legend for giving me so much information. Osborne park is not too far away from me so would definitely go and visit them for a quote and weigh them up a bit. It's very interesting how you mention about the repairs because one don't actually think about that.

It's good to know that Epic has got a new bucket now as I am about to buy a new one anyway.. Have been saving a while now to get into this fun sport again and looking forward strengthning my lower back/stabilisers again!

Once again thanks and much appreciated!

More
13 years 7 months ago #5171 by Stew
Hi Cstoff,

If you require any information on the Think range, feel free to ask us, more than happy to help out. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cheers,

Stewart.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5187 by AR_convert
Cstoff, if you are quick a Fenn XT has just come up for sale on www.rapidascent.com.au/Forum/ForumTopics.aspx?tt=5&e=6 :woohoo:

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #5193 by Cstoff
Hi AR,

Thanks for the link! I was the first one to have a look at it and it was still in great shape and well looked after so I bought it!! :-) Now the hunt begins again to find a paddle.. haha THanks mate

More
13 years 7 months ago #5194 by AR_convert
Good stuff, glad to help, hopefully see you at a race this summer ;)

Always looking for the next boat :)

Latest Forum Topics