× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Race Start Tips

More
12 years 7 months ago #7910 by chrisinmanly
Race Start Tips was created by chrisinmanly
Had the 1st of the sydney races today, huge numbers!!!, awesome conditions, nice work DY, anyway I had a forearm blow up after foolishly following TJ off the line for first couple of kms, I am a mid packer, and blew up in forearms. I was probably holding the paddle a bit hard and not getting much leg drive due to slightly messy conditions. Anyway, I've ben training well and staying with some good guys on flat water over winter, however training has involved long warm ins, just need to get on the ocean and work on starts. Can anyone suggest some training drills to get initial speed and then settle without blowing up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7913 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Race Start Tips
You are pretty much racing somewhere around your anaerobic threshold.

If you know what heart rate that is, then warm up to but not over that pace for a few minutes not long before the race.
Let the rate build slowly during this time so you don't go over while your heart rate catches up.

Not only will you have got all the action happening for the aerobic system, but will also then have a feel of the pace you need to go.

My best advice is; go hard as you like for 10 to 15 seconds, after that, settle into your own pace unless there is a tactical advantage to be gained by going over threshold for a few minutes. But no more than a few minutes or you WILL pay for it later.

If you have warmed up as I say, your heart rate will come up quickly at race start and show now no initial lag that will lull you into going harder than you should.

You won't win a race at the start, but you can certainly loose it if you go too hard.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 7 months ago #7914 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Race Start Tips
How long are the races?

More
12 years 7 months ago #7922 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Race Start Tips
I don't think exercises will change the fact that if you try to paddle with one of the best paddlers in the world in technical conditions you're going to fatique somewhere.
At the start of races the best paddlers hunt in packs. They go like the clappers, then settle into groups that pull each other along. The flatter the conditions the longer they stay together.
You need to be more realistic whose tail you jump onto. I suspect your issue is more of a race plan/technique issue than a fitness problem.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7923 by chrisinmanly
Replied by chrisinmanly on topic Re: Race Start Tips
In hindsight, you're right, paddling along side Tim was a rockie error, however my arms tricked me into thinking it was a good idea until about 3km into a 15km race my forearms exploded.

I am still looking for ways to go faster off the line so I can get into faster packs, I am going to try allocating a session a week to getting starts right. Maybe 10 minute intervals that start hard and then settle?

More
12 years 7 months ago #7925 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Race Start Tips
The only way you can hang with the lead pack is to belong there.
Being able to go hard for a few minutes won't let you hang with them.........

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #7932 by kiwial
Replied by kiwial on topic Re: Race Start Tips
Start with a submersed blade, half way thru the stroke so when the gun goes you just "finish" the stroke and break the surface tension allowing your first full stroke to be completly effective
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by kiwial.

Latest Forum Topics