DIY weed guard

More
9 years 6 months ago #21630 by ptomblin
DIY weed guard was created by ptomblin
Does anybody have any suggestions for how to make a weed guard? The one that Epic supplied with my ski fell off after one day, and I don't want to spend another $25 for one of theirs if it's only going to last a day. Interested in suggestions for materials, how to attach the pieces together, and how to attach the weed guard to the boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21642 by Bill L
Replied by Bill L on topic DIY weed guard
To attach it if you may want to remove it later, use silicone adhesive.

To attach it permanently, use epoxy, and follow these instructions:
www.huki.com/index.php?page=Bungee_Loops

Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: J3ZZA, ptomblin

More
9 years 6 months ago #21665 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic DIY weed guard
When you buy the weed guards they'll tell you that the double-sided tape supplied with the guard won't last long; for permanent attachment (actually semi-permanent, because a solid hit with a rock will break it off [the voice of experience]), Epic suggests using a good epoxy (as suggested above). Epoxy worked well for me (outside of the rock incident...).

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #21667 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic DIY weed guard

ptomblin wrote: Does anybody have any suggestions for how to make a weed guard? The one that Epic supplied with my ski fell off after one day, and I don't want to spend another $25 for one of theirs if it's only going to last a day. Interested in suggestions for materials, how to attach the pieces together, and how to attach the weed guard to the boat.

Or you could order a few from
mockepaddling.com/product/weed-deflectors/
50 rand is only 5USD
Even with airmail postage it would be good value...

More
9 years 6 months ago #21682 by rlh608
Replied by rlh608 on topic DIY weed guard
3M 5200 marine sealant is pretty bombproof, once it cures.

Current ski: Stellar SR Advantage

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21798 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic DIY weed guard
DIY Weed Guard - If you have some spare time, a bit of patience and rudimentary fibreglass skills you can easily make them. I made a basic mould using some scrap aluminium angle, a bit of masking tape and some bolts.

Using release wax/agent on the aluminium - Layer up each side with some (200gram) carbon fibre pieces and some chop strand (for bulking up) I used epoxy resin (West) but you could use polyester resin. Once you have done both halves clamp/bolt together I used a third piece of aluminium to give the base a flat/smooth finish...What you should end up with is a T section. Then cut the carbon T section with an angle grinder/Dremel tool to you own shape or desire!

Once you have the profile sorted simply map out on the ski - the exact position - use masking tape to mark out the area - then abrade the marked out area - I use 5min Araldite(2 part epoxy) to glue the weed deflector on.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by [email protected]. Reason: Inserted the images in the post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected], red_pepper, ptomblin

More
9 years 6 months ago #21801 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic DIY weed guard
Very neat! Thanks Simon!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 6 months ago #21802 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic DIY weed guard
Cool idea and looks really sweet!
I just cut and shape a piece from an old surfboard fin and epoxy it on. I just live with whatever color it is. Could be painted though.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21803 by ptomblin
Replied by ptomblin on topic DIY weed guard
I tried making one out of an old CD-ROM, but the glue I used to stick the two parts together didn't last for a whole paddle. Which is unfortunate because it had the advantage of being thin. A friend made me one out of lexan, and it seems to be holding together - I've tested it on floating seaweed at L2L and the usual leaves and grasses in the Erie Canal and Irondequiot Bay. But I like the idea of Simon's carbon fiber one.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21901 by lost john
Replied by lost john on topic DIY weed guard
Here is what I made about two years ago out of "preservation tape". Works well against milfoil with this weedless rudder on my Atom.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: XV2PS

Latest Forum Topics