Efficiency of cockpit drains

More
15 years 10 months ago #2287 by rojo
Hi,
I've been doing a lot of re-entry and start drills recently. I noticed that it seems to take ages to drain the cockpit from its fully flooded state. In total I need an average of about 200m to drain the cockpit which seems quite a lot to me. This is already with a foam block in front of the footrest to reduce volume.
I had the impression that on other boats than mine, the venturi drains seem to work more efficient.
How long does it take on your crafts to drain the cockpit? How much time or distance do you considere exceptable to drain the cockpit?

Just to add to this thread: Has anybody considered it as uncomfortable that no manufacturer puts a drain in the seat bucket part of the cockpit?
Due to the lowerd hump between the bucket and the footwell on most recent designs I get water in the bucket from the very start (just from the acceleration and inertia) even in dead calm conditions. >:(

cheers

Rolf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2288 by [email protected]
Cockpit drainage is an evolving science which has become more important with the advent of single footwells that contain much more volume of water.

There are different approaches eg
- Fenn/Custom Kayaks, etc have the old style double drains with a scupper on the outside of the hull
- Epic have a single venturi drain designed to suck the water out
- Red7 put "bullets" behind the scuppers that streamline the water flow - according to the designers the three bullets have less drag than two regular scuppers.

In my experience the most effective drains are the Red7 ones.

Check that the drain holes are clear - you could also try installing the Red7 bullets - but you need to get the shape of the whole scupper/bullet/hole story exactly right.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics